This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

57-Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

57-Rebuild

Postby Brockway » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:15 am

My 57 restoration is coming along pretty good.Everythings disassembled,engine in shop,waiting for tranny and final drive parts.I just read the post concerning synthetic oil.Do you guys recommend synthetic oil in my new engine.Also a question about rattle can primer,any favorite brands out there?Which is the best?I don't want to remove this primer when it comes time to prep for paint.Anybody ever heard of "OSPHO"?It's a liquid rust remover.I can't find it anywhere.
Thanks,Brockway

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:18 am

Brockway:

Can't help on the oil, but I am beginning to think that as soon as I use up what low ash I have, I just may convert over to synthetics.

As for the rattle cans - CaseIH dealers should have them in 2150. If not, the Ken over at Carter and Grunewald WILL have it!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:55 am

It seems like that 90% of all the information that I have heard or read says to NOT use a synthetic in a new or rebuilt engine until after the engine is broken in and all parts have seated.
Then came Bronson

Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

57-Rebuild

Postby Brockway » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:58 pm

Rudi,my I.H. dealer has 2150 red in rattle can and 1 gallon cans.Does the rattle can match the 1 gallon can?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:44 pm

Simple answer is YES!

I have used the rattle can for my battery box and the 1 gallon can is going to be for Ellie!

Don't forget - use a decent primer ok!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:14 pm

Rudi wrote:Simple answer is YES!

I have used the rattle can for my battery box and the 1 gallon can is going to be for Ellie!

Don't forget - use a decent primer ok!

A less than simple answer... the pigments are not all the same weight, so they tend to separate in the gallon can. Be very sure to stir the paint thoroughly any time you remove any from the can... even though it hasn't been very long.

Guess how I know that?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: 57-Rebuild

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:03 pm

Brockway wrote:Rudi,my I.H. dealer has 2150 red in rattle can and 1 gallon cans.Does the rattle can match the 1 gallon can?
Most dealers also stock quarts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

57-Rebuild

Postby Brockway » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:59 pm

I agree with the decent primer but what kind is decent?Is it better to paint with the tractor in peices or after assembled?
Thanks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:46 pm

Well you are going to get some differing answers as each of us have our own preferences. Let us hope you can get a concensus on this.

I was over to a buddy's place last night. He is restoring/customizing a 1930 Ford Model A 1/4 ton pick me up. Each part is cleaned, primed and painted before re-assembly. It is gorgeous. This is how I am going to do mine. I do all my painting like this. I find it is the best for how I do things.

This way, you finish as you need to, no rust gets into things, no dust or anything else that will ruin a real good paint job.

Primer, well that again will bring forth much discussion. I am NO expert on primer, but I have learned over the years that you have to use the best you can reasonably afford. I personally like the high builds, but even the old red iron oxide primer is good if it is a good quality. Ask your automotive paint supplier. There is also a good product that you could use to inhibit rust that is applied before primer. Any good automotive paint supply store would know what it is.

Oh, yeah, GW was correct - sometimes the pigments differ. I always make sure to shake the cans well to thoroughly mix the paint. Most of the time it will be either right on or close, but sometimes differnt lots will produce different tones.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:47 pm

Brockway,Use the primer that is compatable to your paint.(Same brand)I painted Ned, ugly cub-( 4th place finisher in the ugly cub contest) each part disassembled, cleaned, preped and painted before installation.I thought it was a good :idea: .But You know as thinks get put back together.You ding and scratch the paint and you get :twisted: I have to say to myself,"Its just a tractor" I really don't want a parade tractor.I can't see myself in a parade :roll: Just want to make it look nice.It does not look like this any more..I can't wait to get mud and snow all over it!

Touch up cans and barn paint and heavy orig. factory paint kept this metal intact.Nothing wrong with that. Tell those spiders to get off my tractor too there messing my paint up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

57-Rebuild

Postby Brockway » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:25 pm

RedNed,what year is your cub?

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:42 pm

Do you guys recommend synthetic oil in my new engine

Can I use Mobil Drive Clean Blend in a new engine?

You can start using Mobil Drive Clean Blend at any time, including in brand-new vehicles. The performance advantages of Mobil Drive Clean Blend can be realized from your very first mile on the road.
Young man for work, old man for advice

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:56 pm

Brockway,Ned is 1960 #217085 built Dec 1960.Mobil 1 installed time since overhaul....020 bored ,020 pistons .010 turned crank

Return to “Farmall Cub”