This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bad Coil?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Bad Coil?

Postby Dan England » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:58 pm

My cub stopped running a few weeks ago. I get no spark when I connect the mag wire to a test plug. I removed the mag today, touched up the points and installed a new mag wire but still can't detect a spark. I plan to replace the rotor, points and condenser tomorrow. I beleive previous posts discussed installing an external coil. Is there a specific coil that I should ask for and, if so, what type is needed. I will also appreciate directions on disconnecting the internal coil and connecting the outer one. I will appreciate receiving additional info that I need to know. This is a first time experience for me. Thanks, Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Assuming your cub is still 6 volts, you will need a standard 6 volt coil. Disconnect the internal wire that goes from the points to the coil inside the mag, as well as the wire going from the kill switch to the bolt on the side of the mag. Select a place to mount the coil (must be grounded). run a wire from the + terminal of the coil to the bolt on the side of the mag where the kill wire was connected. Run a wire from the - terminal of the coil to one terminal of an on/off switch (original kill switch cannot be used for battery ignition), and form the other terminal of the switch through a fuse to a hot battery connection. Then install a high voltage lead from the coil to the center of the cap over the rotor.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:47 pm

Before you try this, make sure the trouble is really the coil, not some other open connection or short. If the original coil isn't bad, it probably will be within about 5 minutes of running it on an external coil.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:00 pm

Thanks, John and Jim. I will hold on replacing the coil until I feel that I have eliminated other possibilities. Dan

Return to “Farmall Cub”