This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dropping front axle - REALLY HARD!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Dropping front axle - REALLY HARD!

Postby allenlook » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:46 am

In trying to get that front bolster off (and while I have the tractor jacked up), I'm trying to get the front axle off... It's HARD! Anything that is a "pin" or "pivot" is just welded together... I have the parts diagrams, and I'm assuming I should be able to drift out the front axle pivot pin (below the steering geer housing), as well as the pins on the ends that adjust the front wheel width, and even the axle ends themselves. Everything is so welded together by rust that rubber mallets, deadblow hammers, and lots of penetrating oil has no effect.

What is next, heat?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:09 pm

AllenLook,

To remove the pivot pin, be sure to remove the pinch bolts completely... they pass through a notch in the pin. Then spread both slots just slightly by driving something like a screwdriver in them. Finally, if the pin is worn a little, it will leave an edge to catch on the spacer washers, so you may have to lift the axle a little, or turn the pin 180 degrees.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Phew!

Postby allenlook » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:02 pm

Man, finally got it! I had to put two jacks and a stack of blocks under the tractor for safety and then really nail it with a metal hammer!

50 years of rust gives up really hard!

Thanks for the tip about the through bolts - thankfully I did have them all the way out. That would have been an embarassment :)
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”