This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lil Red starts then stops

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
aldenwebb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Lil Red starts then stops

Postby aldenwebb » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:47 pm

Having been a regular reader of this forum for about a year I thought I had everthing figured out. But I don't.
Lil Red started giving me trouble about a month ago. She ( I think of her as a little female) would start then 1 or 2 seconds later stop. After about 5 minutes you could try her again and she would do the same thing. I cleaned her carb and installed a new kit. She fired right up and ran for about 10 hours then she started doing the same thing again. I removed the carb again and recleaned but this time she is back to her old tricks of starting for a second or two then dying.
What else should I do?
Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:23 pm

Sounds like you need to clean out your gas tank, sediment bowl, and the screen where the fuel enters the carb as well as cleaning the carb again.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:18 pm

If you can, set up a temporary tank, clean the carb and see how it runs from a different tank. I think John is correct, it sounds like a contaminated fuel supply.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:36 pm

Temporary gas tanks are easy to make. I used a plastic tank off of an old tecumseh motor on a push mower. I bolted it to about a 1-foot long 1" wide metal bar and put bar upright on a top bell-housing bolt.
Then came Bronson

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:13 am

You might check out H.L. Chauvin link on the home page about gas tank cleaning.

aldenwebb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby aldenwebb » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:31 pm

Thanks for the help. I recleaned the carb and she started right up. I think the problem was in the tube that leads up to the intake. Don't know the nomenclature.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:55 pm

aldenweb . You can check the sediment bowl under the fuel tank and see if you have a material build up in the glass bowl . And check the fuel inlet on the carb for some obstructions at the inlet before the fuel needle valve. Next time it happens remove the plug in the side of the carb and find out if there is fuel in the bowl. My guess there is an obstruction in at the fuel needle valve or the float is stuck in the up position that will allow just enough fuel into the bowl to get the engine stated but not enough to allow the engine to run for a prolonged period of time. Good luck Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Return to “Farmall Cub”