This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mott Flail help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Mott Flail help

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:59 am

I need to know if the holes in the roller monting brackets where the tapered nuts go or also tapered to match the nuts, or if they are straight. I am doing some repair work on mine, and the brackets on the one I use were welded to the shaft years ago, and on my parts one, the holes are completely worn out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:29 pm

John, I'll take a look at the two Motts I have and report back to you later. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:24 am

Hey John,

Both of my Mott mowers appear to have straight holes. None of the nuts on the two are tapered, just regular nuts with flat and lock washers. The bolts used are carriage bolts. Hope this helps. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:48 am

Bud, was there any kind of spacer in the holes? On mine the holes in the brackets are considerably larger than the roller shaft and it had tapered nuts that screwed in to hold the axle centered in the holes.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Mott?

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:52 am

Saw your post and did a Google search for Mott Flail Mower, but couldn't find out what the heck it is...

What does a Flail Mower do - finish mow, or knock down high grass, or bush hog?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:03 am

You can see the manuals on Rudi's server. A flail mower has a horizontal shaft about 4 inches thick with numerous knives mounted on pivot pins scattered around it. The knives are about the thickness of a kitchen kinfe and have a great advantagethat they don't throw debris. They fall in between a finish mower and a brush hog. If the knives are sharp (mine never are) they will give a fairly good finish cut, though not quite as good as a rotary. They will also do good rough cutting, such as tall weeds, light brush, etc, which is what mine is mainly used for, though they do have a short coming that tall (foot or two) stringy grass such as tall fescue will wrap up in them unless you top it first. There are some pictures I posted on how to mount one at http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Mott%20mower/

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Never seen one...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:07 am

I don't think I've ever seen one of those! The highways around here are maintained by the state, and they have units that look like those from the side, but inside they have reel mowers like they use on the golf courses, but a little heavier duty it appears.

I saw the most awesome brush hog the other day - it's called a "bat wing", and it has three 5-foot units, side-by-side, and the outer units fold up hydraulically to almost vertical... Scary to watch it operate (from a goodly distance!)
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Air intake...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:08 am

Hey John,

In those pictures, your air intake is really high above the hood, but mine is right down on the hood - is there a material difference? I mean, besides the extra foot of pipe :D :D :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:17 am

I assume you have an underslung exhaust. I think they made both changes at the same time to get better tree limb clearance. That way only the driver is sticking up to get whacked. :?

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Under/Over

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:23 am

Nope, actually I have the above-hood exhaust, although I'm a little suspicious about the hole in the hood, I wonder if a previous owner switched it around.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:33 pm

"Bud, was there any kind of spacer in the holes? On mine the holes in the brackets are considerably larger than the roller shaft and it had tapered nuts that screwed in to hold the axle centered in the holes."

John, I'll take it apart for a look and get back to you.

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall Cub”