This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hood support - two screws at bottom?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Hood support - two screws at bottom?

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:11 pm

I have new hood supports (dog legs) on the way. I notice that, on each side of the tractor, where the bottom of the hood support will attach, there is one screwhole toward the front, and a short "pin" sticking out about two inches rearward.

I'm concerned that this "pin" is actually an old bolt or screw that was broken off and has now rusted into semi-oblivion...

Somebody tell me I'm wrong. :x
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:15 pm

you are not wrong

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Thanks...

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:27 pm

Crap crap crap.

Is it worth trying to tap that #@!$ out of there?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:36 pm

If you're going to take the casting to a shop to get it repaired they can probably do it a lot esier than you, and usually reasonable priced.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

True.

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:39 pm

Ah, very true. I keep forgetting the whole @#$! front of the tractor is one casting, including what looks to be the housing for the steering gears!

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:14 pm

Yep, actually the name of that casting is "steering gear housing".

Cub Med
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tapped Out!

Postby Cub Med » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:20 pm

Having previously worked as an Automotive machinist and having tapped out lots of broken bolts/screws I have had a little luck getting them out. You need to start by cutting off the screw/pin flat across so you can use a center punch marking the screw center. start with a small drill bit going into the screw. Move up a couple of size drill bits until you have a shell left with about a 1/16 inch of metal left in the treads. From here you can try an ez-out tap after soaking the hull with oil to break the rust. If the hull doesn't come out with the ez-out use a 1/4" tool steel, (sharpened to a curved semi pointed scoop), to curl the remaining hull inwards towards the center. You have to work the hollow hull from the outside going around till you meet where you started, working your way deeper into the hole. It will come out once the hull pulls away from the threads. When you see the hull start moving try the ez-out again. Sorry for the length!
A great ideas never lack credit, and credit never lacks a lender! :~)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:53 am

Cub Med, thanks for the tip, One I will definitely have a use for, though I think Allen may have to modify it a little since the screws he is referring to are only 10-24.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Quicker method...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:57 am

Thanks for the tip!

Actually I decided to use a quicker method - I bought a new one :shock:

Once I found the 10" freeze crack in the front of the casting, I decided that tapping out the broken bolt was the least of my concerns :D

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:34 pm

Now I understand why a chunk of twisted wire was holding on the left side of the hood, after I broke one of the screws on the other side. So now I have a matched pair?!!
Always something.
I take it, there are supposed to be two bolts holding on the generator bracket too?
Guess I will put some of the wisdom mentioned above into play....

Film at 11.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:55 pm

By the way, the dog legs do not support the hood. The hood supports the dog legs. The front of the hood is bolted to the side channels of the radiator, one bolt on each side. The bracket is frequently broken off of the hood assembly.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:39 pm

That is the problem I am having making the grilles.Some people do not have the brackets on the gastank to the rad supports,and never realize they were ever there. :wink:
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Brackets

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:15 am

Can someone post a picture (closeup) of these brackets?

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Brackets

Postby johnbron » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:06 am

allenlook wrote:Can someone post a picture (closeup) of these brackets?

:roll: Just look under your hood on both sides in a direct line with the radiator fill hole and you cant miss them. :P
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Nope

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:40 am

The underside of the forward part of my hood only has the bolts for holding the lights and two nuts on either side where the doglegs attach.

Otherwise it is a smooth cavity.

Return to “Farmall Cub”