This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

John *.?-!.* cub owner Help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

John *.?-!.* cub owner Help

Postby Dogman » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:27 am

John I know you have done this a million times. but could you go over the Generator / cut-out Trouble shooting 1 more time and what values at which terminal. I finally started working on Mary(the 47) and thought I should keep her 6 volt

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:53 pm

Dogman, I think there is a very good electrical trouble shooting guide on Rudi's website, but I'll give it a try.

This assumes you still have the original 4 position light switch and a generator mounted cutout, rather than the 3 position switch and a regulator (not mounted on generator).

First off with a known good battery installed and charged and the engine stopped, polarize the generator by momentarily connecting a lead from the battery side of the cutout to the generator terminal (NOT F term). A small spark is normal.

With the engine running about 1/2 throttle use an analog voltmeter to measure the voltage at the A terminal of the generator (or gen terminal of cutout). Should be 6 1/2 to 7 1/4. If voltage is lower, try grounding the F lead at the generator. If voltage comes up, then you have a problem with the wire to the light switch being bad, or the light switch being bad (sometimes rust on terminals) or the light switch not being grounded good. If the voltage doesn't come up you will need to trouble shoot the generator.

If the voltage is 7 volts or higher at the generator side of the cutout, but lower at the battery side, the cutout is not working, and needs repaired or replaced (good luck).

If the voltage is good at both sides of the cutout, but lower at the battery take readings at both sides of the ammeter, they do fail occasionally.

If voltage is good all the way through and at battery, but ammeter is not showing charge, the meter is probably bad.

I know I have probably left some things out here, but hopefully somone will add them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:42 pm

Thanks John you a scholar a gentleman and a prince among men :roll: I printed them both out and will try in the a.m.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:32 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:If the voltage is 7 volts or higher at the generator side of the cutout, but lower at the battery side, the cutout is not working, and needs repaired or replaced (good luck).

FWIW, I got a rebuilt cutout (the original Delco) from Classic Generators in TX. If anybody wants I can post the address. Don't have it installed yet but it looks like new. If you have the old cutout they may be able to fix it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:10 pm

Al:

Could you post as much of their contact info as possible? I will then add it to the Specialty Services section of the server.

Thanks
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:49 pm

Rudi,

The address is:
Classic Generator
4316 Dollar St.
Midlothian, TX 76065
817-473-1448

I bought it in 2002, it's in the box waiting for the Super A. It looks like a new one. They can repair an existing cutout, depending on what's wrong with it. I sent my original, and they called back, said it was junk :cry: In 2002 my rebuilt cutout cost me $40 plus $5 shipping, which I thought was reasonable.

As I said I can't comment on how well it truly works, since it's not on the tractor yet! BUT I was very satisfied with the service I received there. Very helpful and knowledgable.

Hope this helps
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:58 pm

Thank John
it was a bad ammeter

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:30 pm

Was it just not giving a reading, or was it open completely?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:28 pm

A bad ammeter would have been my last guess. They so seldom fail. Just goes to show you that any component can fail at any time and you should never ass u me .
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:49 pm

Bigdog wrote:A bad ammeter would have been my last guess. They so seldom fail. Just goes to show you that any component can fail at any time and you should never ass u me .
If you noticed it was the last thing on my list also. We tend to think of the ammeter as monitoring the system like a piece of test equipment, not being part of it. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned in 35+ years of being an electronics technician is never take it for granted the test equipment is working correctly.

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:53 pm

John it was not giving a reading and I worked through the list to get there as I made the wiring and the GEN and CUTOUT were off a parts tractor I figured they were bad.
This was a very abused little girl the original wire harness was all cut up and splice together it didn't have a generator and it had a vertical distributor off of a ALICE Charmers and it has been sitting out for about a year since I got it but she starts right up and charges like a trooper. even though front wheel are rotted out it still moves :D :D :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”