This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub ROPS

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Cub ROPS

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:22 pm

Other than the one post the search feature found here in the forum, has anyone seen, or considered, some form of safety system for their Cub?

Even though it might be "hard to do", or "of limited effectiveness", anything that decreases risk at a reasonable cost and effort is worth it, I'm thinking.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:34 pm

For a ROPS system to be effective, it needs to be engineered to provide adequate protection. Most of us could barnyard engineer something, but the amount of protection provided might not be up to what we think it is. I avoid taking chances, knowing I do not have a mechanical device to protect me. I think many have a false sense of security when it comes to safety devices and thus take un-necessary chances.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Yep...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:41 pm

Safety starts with the operator... True enough.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:00 pm

, There is a Cub here at my local CaseIH Dealer that has been retrofitted with a ROPS setup, very interesting and well done.

The province required that the fellow who owned the Cub have it ROPS retrofitted and incorporate a seat restraint system :?: :?: as it was used for commercial ground maintenance. The ROPS was well engineered and professionally done, looks good and all, but many of us who have seen it, fear that who ever was on the seat if it rolled would not be protected, but probably end up getting injured by it. Government bureaucrats see rules only but cannot figure out how to get a 50 year old tractor to comple.

A Cub was never designed with a ROPS component, and will not support one. In case of a roll-over, this particular unit would probably break the rear axles right off of the transmission case and injure the operator.

Will try to remember to take the digital to the dealer next time I go and post a pic of the ROPS.... it is interesting and well done, just not practical.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:35 am

I saw one at a tractor show last month. It is actually the rops on a backhoe that is mounted on the tractor. I thought it was interesting, so I took a couple of pics. Who would have thought?

You can see they were all roped off, so I didn't get a close look at how it is mounted. You can see in the pics that it goes under the axel and bolts to the torque tube.

Image[/url]

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:41 am

That's quite a setup. Perhaps the ROPS is mounted to the backhoe itself, but it's hard to tell. What good is it to have a tractor show and then rope 'em all off?
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:47 am

Jeff M wrote:That's quite a setup. Perhaps the ROPS is mounted to the backhoe itself, but it's hard to tell. What good is it to have a tractor show and then rope 'em all off?

I saw that same Cub in early June at the Wood County show near Bowling Green, OH. It wasn't roped off and I got a good look at it. It's a nice looking tractor and was well cleaned up and painted. On closer look, it's had a rough life and has repair welds in all the expected places. The loader was more harmful to it than the backhoe.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Lesser of 2 evils...

Postby allenlook » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:16 am

Given the option of breaking the rear axles off the Cub in a rollover, or breaking the rear axles off the operator in a rollover - well as much as I love my Cub I love my "rear axles" even better...

You could say I'm very attached to them :)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:18 am

Something caught my curious eye in that Cub backhoe picture. I am wondering why the loader bucket has what looks like metal bars bolted or welded to the inside surface. I have ran different loaders for many years and have never seen that on a bucket. The only thing useful I can think of at the moment is that it adds weight to counter balance the backhoe attachment?.
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:13 am

JB, those are for the manure forks. The front wear edge is removeable and uses 4 of the receiver tubes for mounting. By removing the cutting edge and installing the forks, you would have a manure bucket.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joker555 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:39 am

I really am impressed with this CUB and would give lefty for it.
How much you all think it's worth. I do alot of dirt moving where I live,and am getting tired of renting!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Can it do it?

Postby allenlook » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:42 am

Can the Cub really handle that bucket (and/or the backhoe for that matter?)

Seems like it wouldn't weight enough, or have the oomph to run it.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:33 am

Bigdog wrote:JB, those are for the manure forks. The front wear edge is removeable and uses 4 of the receiver tubes for mounting. By removing the cutting edge and installing the forks, you would have a manure bucket.

Thanks BD, I aint never had the pleasure of scooping manure. The closest thing to it that I worked alot with was a product called "Tillo" that was a mixture of rice-hulls and sewage treatment plant sludge that looked like asphalt but smelled a whole lot different. :roll: Are those receiver tubes welded to the bucket?. If so it seems that it would be hard to clean them out from certain materials sticking in & to them.
Then came Bronson

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:45 pm

A ROPS is worthless if you don't have a seatbelt on.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:31 pm

Not a ROP, but I have put seat belts on the one I mow with because of
the rough ground and side-to-side motion. It sure makes a big difference.
I do not feel as tired after mowing with the seat belt on. And it also
offers me better control over the tractor.

But as BD and others have indicated, the operator is the "key" to
safety. All the ROP's is the world is not going to protect an operator
that will simply not recognize and realize the operating range of his/
her equipment and obey the laws of physics.

Return to “Farmall Cub”