This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub drive gears too slow//fast??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub drive gears too slow//fast??

Postby Joker555 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:18 am

Is there any way to change a 69 CUB's gear speeds.1st is snail,2nd is great for plowing and mowing around the house,but 3rd is a beat the living sh%# out of you fast when cutting longer stretches.I would love to get a speed in between 2nd and 3rd..

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:05 am

You sure either have a lot more power or a lot thinner grass than I have. :D The only way I know would be to buy a gear reducer of the type that was used on the Howard Rotavator. However they cut the speed in half, so the when it was engaged the result would be 3rd gear being slightly faster than second is normally.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

FarmallCubNJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Speed in Gears

Postby FarmallCubNJ » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:36 pm

Why not just cut back on the throttle to reduce the ground speed if that is a problem?

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:44 pm

I always mow in first, the more seat time the better for me and the Cub. If you are in a hurry, then you should trade for something that fits your needs. I'll trade you my push mower for your CuB! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:45 am

On mine, the difference between first and second is almost imperceptible. It's first, first, and warp 9.

I've always wondered if there was a different ratio for first gear available. IIRC, the instructions say ~2.7MPH for first, ~3.2MPH for second. WTH? :shock: My Dad's M doesn't go that fast in first, and the 400 only does 0.8MPH with the TA engaged.

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:47 am

Just a couple thoughts.....

1. Most of the old tractors that I have been around were designed with the top gear as a "road gear" specifically for transport from point to point over relatively smooth surfaces. The rest of the gears were designed as the "working gears" for field work.

2. Perspective - The "working gears" that seem intolerably slow to us probably looked pretty good to the farmer who had just switched from a horse or mule 50+ years ago. :D

Ike

Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joker555 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:25 am

Thanks for the input guys. And you are right,Iam in a hurry when I cut my 2 acres.I have 2 little girls,a very demanding job,and this time of the year in South Louisiana it gets up to 110 on the heat index!
The grass needs cuttin twice a week.
But don't get me wrong when I say "my cub is too fast and too slow",I love my cub.I have 2 of them,and would never get rid of Poor Willie,which was given to me by my Grandfather.It put in many hours on his farm plowing the garden in those slower gears just fine. I to,use the slower gears for cuttin around the house.But when I get to the straight areas,like Emerald says,I CRANK IT UP A NOTCH.
Even the handbook,I think,but you guys know a hell of alot more than I do,says you can cut 2 acres in an hour.You can't do that in 2nd gear.
When I cut back on the throttle it bogs down.
Also,just a comment,the other day my governor linkage came loose from the carb,and my cub had instant 500 horsepower. I thought she was going to blow.Had to turn the key off really quick!!

By the way how do I insert a photo of my Poor Willie??

Talk @ ya'll later!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:36 am

The handbook is referring to using a 4 1/2 or 5 foot sickle mower, where there is no overlap, etc. They don't pull as hard as a rotary. My larger area of ground is fairly rough, but before we tracked it up with a backhoe putting a new drainfield in I could come close to covering 2 acres in an hour with my flail mower.

To post a picture it has to be someplace on the web, such as your ISP server, a photo hosting service, etc. Then you click on the ING button at the top of the posting page, copy the picture location and click "close Tags". If you will go to the message board questions I believe there is a full tutorial there.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:40 am

Ike wrote:Just a couple thoughts.....

1. Most of the old tractors that I have been around were designed with the top gear as a "road gear" specifically for transport from point to point over relatively smooth surfaces. The rest of the gears were designed as the "working gears" for field work.

2. Perspective - The "working gears" that seem intolerably slow to us probably looked pretty good to the farmer who had just switched from a horse or mule 50+ years ago. :D

Ike
Ike, I was raised on a 41 H, of course it wasn't all that old then. :( And what at that time seemed fairly fast is just barely creeping along now. I really think all the "must have better and faster equipment" ideas is what has caused the failure of many family farms.

Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joker555 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:16 am

I don't think I can post photos using a Macintosh??

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:47 am

send me the file and I will upload it.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:35 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:

Ike, I was raised on a 41 H, of course it wasn't all that old then. :( And what at that time seemed fairly fast is just barely creeping along now. I really think all the "must have better and faster equipment" ideas is what has caused the failure of many family farms.

John *.?-!.* cub owner, I agree that the old tractors seem to creep along now. Maybe that is why so many of these old tractors are still around, They haven't been beat to death by speed. :D Also, I think you are probably right about the family farms. That bigger and faster equipment translates into bigger and bigger debt load.

Ike

Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joker555 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:29 pm

OK You Guys You have me convinced!! I really should appreciate the cub for what it can do and not how much I want it to do. I guess I thought 3rd gear was great while cuttin grass,although it did beat me to death while cuttin.
I mean, I can actually get a good clean cut in 3rd gear......I just think that somewhere in between 2nd and third would be OK.

I'm not tryin to say anything bad about the cub because I would not own 2 of them if I did not like them.
But I will respect what ya'll are saying about the speed thing!!

CUB TRACTORS ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN WOMEN!!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Reliability

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:45 pm

You have my sad agreement - Cubs ARE more reliable than women... :lol:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:15 pm

Joker555 wrote:....I just think that somewhere in between 2nd and third would be OK.
I agree it would be nice, but personally I would rather have a gear about 1/2 the speed of first, so that when I am cutting a bunch of brush or weeds that has been there a year or two I can creep into it. Now if they just had a 5 speed, we could both be happy.

Return to “Farmall Cub”