This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Generator Question

Postby Jason (IL) » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:15 am

I posted a topic about the batteries dying a while back, well I finally got around to working on it. I put a new Voltage regulator on it and it runs fine now. BUT, when I started it up the amp meter showed the charge all the way over past the C. That is what it was doing when the batteries went out to so I un hooked the battery and the machine ran great with no battery. So my question is, is my generator putting out to much or is this normal, because the other two tractors stall right away when I do the same thing. Also another key move I did when I restored this tractor is that it was not charging so a friend told me to ground the gen by attaching a wire from the generator mount to the field post and that helped to charge the battery better so I did it on the the other two cubs and this is the first problem I have encountered. Any tips would be nice. I am tired of buying new batteries as for I have bought three now because of this tractor.

Thanks Jason

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:22 am

Jason, for it to go all the way over to the right when first started is normal, but it should drop back as the battery charges. Disconnect the field lead and see if it still stays all the way over. If it does you have a ground on the field lead, possibly the generator where the wire comes through the case. If it goes to 0 when you disconnect the field lead you would appear to have a regulater problem, even though it is a new one.

P.S. running it with the battery disconnected is taking a big risk on damaging the generator.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jason (IL) » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:59 pm

What I have done is install a new voltage Regulator that is all as of right now. Once I started it up and ran it for a while the needle stayed at the C on the gauge for a good 10 - 15 minutes before I shut it off. There is a new battery it the tractor also and that is why I chose the shut it off quickly. I took the extra ground wire off and that is when the needle basicly did nothing. But the thing of it is, I didn't smell the sweet smell Like I had in the past after running about 5 - 10 min or so.

I'll give it more thought and look into to the problem some more tomorrow if time permitts.
Thanks
Jason

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:00 am

Jason, the sweet smell you had before was probably the battery gassing from over charging. Get a cheap analog voltmeter from Walmart, Autozone, or whatever you have in your area. For a 6 volt battery the standing voltage should be about 6 to 6 1/4 and when charging up to as much as 7 1/4 volts. For a 12 volt battery the numbers should be about 12 1/2 and 14 1/2. Slight deviations from these numbers are ok, but larger ones are a problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”