This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Cub in the Southern Hemisphere

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Denis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Skype Name: deniscub
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular
1946 Farmall M
1948 Farmall H
1948 Farmall B
1952 Farmall Cub
1971 Cub Cadet 108
1939 Minneapolis Moline UTS

A Cub in the Southern Hemisphere

Postby Denis » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:38 am

Hello all, I follow the going on here almost daily but seldom has reason to post anything. I had the camera out yesterday evening so i took a picture of my youngest duaghter Lauren on "her" tractor. It is a 1952 Cub that i found as a scrapyard case and brought back to lfe a few years ago.
This is the first photo post that I am trying so I hope that it works ok.
Last edited by Denis on Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:09 am

Dennis:

Nice to see postings from "down under". I am sure that there is much you may find normal or unremarkable to post that would capture everyones interest here.

For example, how common are the Cubs in SA? How difficult is it to get parts? What was the restore like? What were Cubs used for in SA during their heyday???

Oh, btw. The img tags are correct, seems that the url is not though....

keep us posted, and retry the pic
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Denis
10+ Years
10+ Years
1946 Farmall M
1948 Farmall H
1948 Farmall B
1952 Farmall Cub
1971 Cub Cadet 108

Postby Denis » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:48 am

Rudi
Thank you for the reply. I have managed to get the picture posted from another site but it does not seem to allow me to make it bigger, but I will keep trying.
Let me try and answer some of your questions.

Cubs are reasonably common here although I have never seen a Lowboy here or any older that the late 50's. Cub Cadets however seemed to have come in in limited numbers until the early 70's. In most areas though they were seen to be too small for most farms.

Parts are not available at all even from the CaseIH dealers. We can usually match up things like fan belts, seals and bearings but for the rest we have to try and salvage from a scrapped unit or import from the USA. I have been using Ken at Carter and Gruenewaldt for many years and always get good service from him. I have also used Don Vogt for used parts for my Cub Cadet.

The Cub retoration was rather difficult for me although very rewarding as well. It was a real basket case and when I did it more than 10 years ago I did not have the luxury of the internet. It was also my first restoration project and so I did not have many people to turn to far help and advise was concerned. Because of the Cub though I met a lot of people that have made following projects a lot easier. Also a lot of new friends have been made along the way. Many of these I have never met in person but I correspond with them via this medium. This hobby is truly a great way of meeting a lot of fantastic people from all over the world.

Most Cubs were used here on vegetable and wine farms where space between rows of crops is limited.

Denis

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:40 am

Well, stick me in the eye. Being a typical resident of the US, my world geographical knowledge aint' too great (I guess we must be a little too self-centered!). Denis, could you tell me/us exactly where you're located? "SA"--would that be South Africa, as referred to by Rudi (he's a Canuck, so he'd know this stuff)?

Thanks for decreasing my ignorance level a fraction....Jeff
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:13 am

Denis, like Jeff M, I confess to be fairly ignorant of your part of the world and woul like to know more.

Regarding parts, 2 salvage companies that will ship to you are http://www.jptractorsalvage.com (USA) and http://www.chowntractorparts.com (Canada)
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Denis
10+ Years
10+ Years
1946 Farmall M
1948 Farmall H
1948 Farmall B
1952 Farmall Cub
1971 Cub Cadet 108

Postby Denis » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:09 am

Jeff M and anybody else who would like to know. I am at a small town called Hermanus. We are in the extreme south of South Africa. The most southern tip of Africa, Cape Agullas is about half an hour away and we are about an hour and a half away from Cape Town. I hope this helps.
Denis
Last edited by Denis on Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:29 pm

TM Tractor sells to this man in Chilie
http://www.tmtractor.com/
Young man for work, old man for advice

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:54 pm

Denis wrote:The most southern top of Africa, Cape Agullas is about half an hour away and we are about an hour and a half away from Cape Town. I hope this helps.
Denis

It does help, thanks a bunch (believe it or not, I know where Cape Town is!!). Sure is fun to correspond with folks around the world. Gotta love the internet!!! ....Jeff
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:31 pm

yup, the internet is the modern version of amateur radio..... sometimes though I think the radio is still better :wink:

either way, learning about people in different parts of the world who share the same hobby/addiction as we do is really something :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”