This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New member, first question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob Roraback
10+ Years
10+ Years

New member, first question

Postby Bob Roraback » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:54 pm

Hello to everyone, I have purchased my first Cub tractor,I was told that it is a 1952. I thought that I would start by changing the oil and filter and also changing the fuel filter as it is having a problem where I will be going along fine and the engine cuts out and dies suddenly and wont restart until I wait a minute or so. My questions are as follows,
1. What weight and type of oil should I use.
2. Should I use a lead substitute in the gas?
3. What octane gas should I use.
4. Where can I get a new fuel filter and oil filter.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should check or use?

Thank you all for the help that you provide,
Bob Roraback

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:34 pm

Bob, Welcome to the board! May I suggest that you read the posting at the attached link for many answers. The questions you have are common for most new cub owners. I will attempt to answer some of them for you and the answers to some of the others are strictly matters of choice.

The choice of oils is diverse. Some prefer detergent oil, some don't. Some prefer single viscosity, others don't. Generally, whatever the previous owner used is a good place to start. Essentially, a multi-grade detergent oil is a good choice. 10W-30 of your favorite brand. Then watch the dipstick to see how the oil looks after a short while. If the engine is going to need a rebuild, you can start clean with whatever you choose and it will be OK.
Unleaded regular gas should be fine. That's what most of us use. If it makes you feel better, use a lead substitute, but it isn't necessary.

Originally, the cub had no fuel filter. Just a sediment bowl at the tank outlet. If there is a filter in your gas line, it has been added by a previous owner. If you want to keep a filter in the system, choose a high flow filter designed for gravity fed fuel systems.

Oil filters can be purchased from a Case IH dealer or from a good auto supply store such as NAPA. There are cross reference numbers in the cub FAQs.

Your problem sounds like a fuel starvation problem. There is a screen at the fuel inlet to the carb. Also an air vent in the cap on the tank can become plugged causing a vacuum and thus fuel starvation.

Read the FAQ's and check the links and anything you can't find, someone will be able to answer for you.

Here's the link for new members:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1459
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bob Roraback
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks

Postby Bob Roraback » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:05 pm

Thanks Big Dog, I will use that link and start there. I agree that it is a fuel starvation problem . I will let you know what I find. Thanks again for answering, Bob

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:38 pm

Bob:

Welcome to the Cub Forum and to the Cub Family :D

BigDog gave you some good advice. Now, I will drop in me dos centavos worth.

Do yourself a very big favour. Go to Binder Books and order these three manuals.

Cub Owners Manual (good for regular and lo-boy all years)
TC-37F Parts Manual
GSS-1411 Service Manual

The good folks on this forum gave me this advice 2 years ago when I was just a newbie Cub nut and had aquired the first of my present 3 Cubs. They have proved invaluable. In fact they are absolutely essential as most of the questions you have are answered in those three manuals. The parts manual is especially useful for the cut-away and the exploded diagrams. Also, it is basically imperative that when ordering parts from your CaseIH counter man that you have the part number. It sure simplifies everything and the right part usually gets ordered.

In the meantime, and I know BD just overlooked this :roll: right BD :oops: :?: , if you click on the link below in my signature line, it will take you to the Cub Manual Server. Spend some time there looking things over. Most of the info you need is there.

Speaking of which, if you click this : Lurker Carl's Carb Fixes, most of what you need to know about your fuel problem is discussed there including which carb kits to buy and which to avoid like the plague :lol: .

As for oil, oil filter, hy-tran for your touch control if equipped and for most parts - your local CaseIH Dealer or Case Parts On-Line, will be your best source for good quality IH parts. If you do not have a local dealer, then Ken over at Carter and Grunewald can supply and ship your required parts etc., to you. You can also get parts at TSC, NAPA and other auto parts stores and sometimes it is cheaper, but you may find out that cheaper is not always better. I know I did :oops:

As for gas - regular unleaded is perfect and no lead additives are required nor recommended. The only thing you might want to do is to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas tank occassionally according to the directions on the bottle. I am beginning to like that stuff :!: :idea:

Again, welcome to the Forum and to the Family. Betcha can't stop at one :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:58 pm

Rudi, I didn't forget, I knew there was a link to your site in the posting to new members. I was just too lazy to cut and paste the address. Sorry my friend, your site is invaluable to everyone new and old alike. I wouldn't leave it out.
Bigdog

Bob Roraback
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks Rudi

Postby Bob Roraback » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:05 pm

Thank your for the info Rudi! And I bet you are right about stopping at one. Bob

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:59 pm

Hey BD:

Sorry buddy, but today you lucked out. Haven't yanked a chain today, so you got picked :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Helpfull hints

Postby Buggyscott » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:46 am

Bigdog is right on, go to Binderbooks and get the manuals. Got these even before I brought home 'My Missey' and they have been a life saver several times over. It is surprising how a major crisis turns into just a moments pause when you can look in the book and get a answer real quick without having to jack it up and start unbolting to see inside. Also just reading the post on this board has given me so much information that one of my wisdom teeth exploded the other day when it could not hold it all. Thanks guys for sharing what you have learned with this newbee.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:35 am

Rudi, what turned you on to Marvel? I use it too. I was told about it bu an old aircraft mechanic, said he used it in all of his planes and other vehicles. I have been using it in all of the gas and diesel equipment, The C seems to run better now than it did. It could be from usage or the oil. Just curious.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:59 am

Bigdog wrote:
Rudi, I didn't forget, I knew there was a link to your site in the posting to new members. I was just too lazy to cut and paste the address. Sorry my friend, your site is invaluable to everyone new and old alike. I wouldn't leave it out.

Hey Bigdog, we know Rudi just turned 50 and sometimes has problems with his memory...so when's your birthday :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 pm

Heh! Heh! Heh! Thats a carefully guarded secret!
Bigdog

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 pm

Carm:

Everybody on the board almost has been singing the praises of MMO :lol: unfortunately, I cannot seem to find it here in Canada :cry: :? . Soooo when CubFest Northeast was almost upon us, CB graciously sent up some of the MMO for door prizes and for me to try.

I LIKE IT! A lot :D

Now, to try and figure out how to get more........

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:24 pm

Bigdog,

When some says "Heh! Heh! Heh! Thats a carefully guarded secret!"

That really is telling :wink: It most likely means you forgot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:26 pm

I'll give you a hint. It's 3 days before my wedding anniversary.
Bigdog

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:27 pm

Bigdog wrote:Heh! Heh! Heh! Thats a carefully guarded secret!
He's older than dirt. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”