This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

buying a carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cletrac1
10+ Years
10+ Years

buying a carb

Postby cletrac1 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:19 am

I've tried to rebuild my carb ,and no luck. It's about to drive me crazy. Where can I buy one that will work at a good price? My IH dealer said the updated carb is $285.00, I found them on ebay for around $175.00 , Yesterday Tractor has them for $165.00.I found a place to rebuild it for $159.00. I just want something that will make my Cub run . It's a 1947 Cub I know its old and the carb has had a long life. Whitch way should I turn ? I'm to the point where I might sell it . Thank Mike
My collection is
Farmall Cub
Farmall H
Farmall M
Ford 9N
Allis Chalmers C
Farmall super C
John Deere B
Cletrac BGS-H
Oliver 550 Diesel
Oliver 77 Diesel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:38 am

If you've tried rebuilding the carb with an aftermarket kit rather than the IH kit, it's understandable. The IH kit is complete and has good instructions. Most of the after-market kits are not. If you have not used the IH kit, it might be worth a try. In either case, the later Zenith carb for $175 is not a bad deal all things considered. The $159 rebuild of the original carb is kind of high, but if they guarantee satisfaction and you want to keep it original, it is a good option. If you buy a new carb, I would be happy to dispose of your old one for you. I wouldn't even charge for my services! :) :) :) :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby F-I-T » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:15 pm

Just for information, I did buy a new carb for my VAC Case from YT, and it's a very nice, new-style Zenith. The original was missing. Bolted it on, adjusted the load and idle, and it has been fine since. Pretty good value.

Frank-in-Tallahassee
'56 JD 70D // '90 JD 855 // '50 Case VAC // '48 IHC Cub "Boo-Boo" // '41 JD "H"
http://www.fboerger.com
F-I-T's webpage.....ALWAYS under construction !!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:30 pm

Mike,

If the cost of the replacement is bothersome as it would be to me, there are other alternatives. If you are adventurous you can adapt some other carburetor... after all, they all mix fuel and air to about the same proportions. 14 : 1 by weight.

Scruffy was pulling just fine at the CubFest 2004 and even held his own in a tug-of-war while running on this Briggs & Stratton carburetor from a 2 HP engine. These old float type carburetors are very common. There are 4 other machines in my barn that use the same carburetor.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:48 pm

Funny you mentioned other replacement carbs. At an auction I purchased a Tillotson model X carb. All I knew that it was an updraft design. After some checking I found out it is for a Ford Model A. I was hoping I could use it as a quick fix on one of my cubs. Has anybody tried this?

ljw

Return to “Farmall Cub”