This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'48 Cub Project: Stuck Valves are out!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

'48 Cub Project: Stuck Valves are out!

Postby F-I-T » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:35 am

Well, all 8 valves are now out, and they really look pretty good except for two that are pitted. Haven't measured the bores yet, but from the valves appearances, this one might have never even had enough time on it to have earned a valve grind. Pistons are still to be removed, but I think another heating session or two will definitely help that.

According to the parts book, the valve seats are integral in the block. Is that true, or can they be replaced? Also, would anyone happen to know how much material one could machine from the block deck to remove pits and nicks without doing any harm. Same for the head, though I think you could take quite a swipe at the head before you would cause a problem. Thanks for any advice.

Frank-in-Tallahassee
'56 JD 70D // '90 JD 855 // '50 Case VAC // '48 IHC Cub "Boo-Boo" // '41 JD "H"
http://www.fboerger.com
F-I-T's webpage.....ALWAYS under construction !!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:39 am

Looks like you are making some progress Frank!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:49 pm

The valve seats are integral, but many machine shops can cut them out and put new seats in them. Might have to ask around a little due to the size. Don't know how much you can take off the block or head, but the surfaces don't have to be perfectly smooth, just straight.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:57 pm

I know you can go up to .060 in piston size, cause that's what's in my '49. My local engine shop was also able to do a re-seat on the valves. $$$$$$$'s but it runs great, and should be the last overhaul it ever needs.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:20 pm

Frank,Tell you what i did with my valve seats. My exhaust seats were the worst.I removed my old valves.was going to change them any way.After I cleaned my block out ( Sonic cleaned it).I installed some sandpaper 100 grit with some crazy glue on the old valves.the size of the seat.Put my old suction cuptool and also made a holder for the valve to the head of the valve.Installed it in my drill motor and away i went with a swirl with some lapping compound also added.after a while all the corrosion was gone and pitting gone, a nice gray color. Smacked out all the old guides.installed new ones to GSS-1411 Installed new valves lapped like crazy with my hand each one .Had my machinest bore my block out .020 cleaned everything up .Hey worked for me!

Return to “Farmall Cub”