Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:41 am
Having a problem with my "smoking light switch", see post and a starting problem, I decided to pop the cap off of the distributor and check things out only to misplace the felt washer for the rotor button, I'm getting old and can't see to good....I used a cigarette butt and a little axle grease for a replacement...
I know this is sorry but the old girl fired right up...Now to find the real deal.
My '48 Cub had a great paint job, but poor attention to detail...OVER SPRAY KILLS ALL...I've learned alot...had to...#1 thing for me is clean every wiring connection there is and study and learn about the function of each electrical part.
Being a first time buyer/owner of a tractor I've learned alot....
Some Tractor sellers are like horse sellers of old, you gotta watch out.
Dad knew an old boy that used house paint to color a horse just for a buyer....don't know if he sold it...
Anyway, I'm hooked, this is the place to be.
I promise to pickup my butt.
Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:21 pm
Oscar Meier wrote:ouh-raw!
I'll second that
Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:50 pm
Hey don't laugh about the butt in the dist.
I can remember a few years ago when my grandpa was still alive on how when he was young and didn't have the money to replace the babbitt in the old Model "T" and "A" Fords where they had poured bearring they would take the rod or main cap out and use a piece of leather belting in place of babbitt.
I thought he was telling me a real whopper until I tore one of my Model "A" engines apart because a rod was hammering and found a piece of what looked to be leather.......NO that was not the rod making the noise either it was one of the other poured bearrings causing the noise. SO I guess what ever works.
I also remember a time when I was having problems with a set of points not being able to keep adjustment becasue the bushing on the shaft was worn and instead of buying or making a new bushing I used a piece of form/sponge rubber to help hold more pressure against the fiber insulator on points to the dist. shaft. Drove another 15,000 miles on that old junker of a car.
Then if all else fails....USE JB WELD, LOL!
Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:05 am
Usin a piece of split leather in the old babbet bearings was common among the old timers in my part of the country as a temporary repair. Many of them lasted for years. I've also heard of them using it to tie around a set of points to replace a broken cam block.
Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:50 pm
When I first got 'Ole Malley', the PO had cut a gasket out of the top of an oil can for the oil filter cover gasket. His practice, according to him, was that when he changed the oil, he would remove the filter and wash it out with kerosene and put it back in.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.