This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tie rod adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Will 48Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

tie rod adjustment

Postby Will 48Cub » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:36 pm

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I got the replacement wheel hub on my 48 cub in good working order. I noticed after reassembling the front end (with 2 new tires) that both wheels toe out. I know I need to adjust the tie rod ends, but I'm not clear on what part is supposed to turn. I loosened the clamp on the tie rod and tried turning the tie rod end to shorten the length, but it seems it's going to require a lot more torque than I'm willing to use without first seeking some advice.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Will

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:22 pm

If it's been a while since they've been adjusted, (like most of them) you will want to apply a little penetrant to the ends before trying to break them free.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:04 pm

Will,

It sounds like you may be trying to move the wrong part. The clamp is removed and the bolt must clear the notch in the rod to telescope the rod when changing wheel width.

For minor adjustments, the lock nut is loosened and the outer cylindrical part is screwed in or out on the 1/2" rod.

Check this article on Rudi's site:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Aligning%20Front%20Tires/Aligning%20Front%20Tires.htm
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Will 48Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Will 48Cub » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:39 am

Thanks for your suggestions, George and Big Dog. I got the tie rods adjusted and the wheels aligned. (The cub steers a lot more easily now). I really had an extreme amount of toe-out to correct, and the tie rod ends are now turned in as far as they'll go--I hope I don't have any future corrections to make, because I'm at the limit of my inward adjustment!

Will

Return to “Farmall Cub”