Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:33 pm

EZ wrote:Hey Rudi,

It wasn't me! :lol:

Seriously though, we are all back safe and sound since Monday nite. Been nothing but busy since. You think you had to grass to cut, I was gone 3 weeks! Poor little Briggs had quite a workout.
Again, it was good to meet you and yours out there. Only thing is I forgot to swing by Sussex and see Alton and David. Maybe next time.


EZ, (and the rest of y'all too) drop by any time, coffee pot is always at the ready! We LOVE to talk tractors, especially Farmalls!! :wink:

Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:36 pm


Glad y'all made it home safe and sound. Was a real treat to meet you, Debbie and the kids! Maybe we will get up to your neck of the woods some day -- be nice to get in some pickerel fishin too! A proper lunch eh??

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:25 am

Finally got Ellie running like she is supposed to. Kind of funny in a PMO kind of way when I found out what was wrong with her.

Took the hood off.
Checked the compression with the brand new I have never owned one before compression tester. Here is what I got:
#1 - 80 lbs, #2 - 80 lbs, #3 - 77 lbs, #4 - 70 lbs. Not too bad for a 56 year old engine :!: :shock:

So that ruled out the cracked head casket theory..... :oops: :roll: . Had gone to Sussex on Friday to see Alton and David and pick up some surprises (pics on next post) and picked up a head gasket, oil, oil filter at Arbings, cause Babineau didn't have one. Seeing as they close at noon on Saturday, I did not want to be without one if I needed it. Sooo, I guess I now have stock for Jethro's block rebuild.

I also got new plugs, plug wires and a distributor cap on Saturday morning just to be on the safe side right after I got the compression test done. Oh, the test was a dry test. Did not bother with the wet test as the numbers were within 10 lbs of each other.

Soooo, I said to myself, Self! maybe we had better go through all of this again and see what we can find. I no longer had a clue what was wrong, but had also started to doubt my investigative results so far.

When I checked the plugs, they all had good spark. When I put them back in, I was still only running on 2 cylinders. Now these plugs are not all that old. Not even a year on them, cause I think I replaced the D-16's in either October or November cause she would not start :roll: :? .

Then I did something I didn't do before. Since I had the hood off, the compression test done, I figured maybe I should re-check the plugs. Well dang nab it :!: wouldn't it figure - plugs 2 and 3 seemed dead :?: So, I exchanged plug 2 and put it on plug wire 1. Sure enough, spark was a very, very weak yellow -- DEAD PLUG :!: Finally was able to get D-21's, so that is what went in. Can't get D-19's though, not even a cross over number is available :?: :?: :?:

Talk about feel stooopid. Yeah, I know. Finally figured it out by myself which is kind of good, cause it means that I am learning a couple of things. 1 is to listen to advise and 2 is to double and triple check everything before you have to do something drastic like take off the head. I am sooooooooooo glad that I did not do that before going over everything again.

There still was the problem with the smell of burned anti-freeze. Well the hood was off, so I was scratching my head over that one, looking here and there. Darn :!: I really need a smack upside the head on that one :oops: The last time the hood was off and I was changing the belts, I had snapped the head off of one of the bolts holding the upper goose neck onto the head..... guess where the anti-freeze is leaking :?: Not in quantities to be worried about as it cannot be seen leaking, just enough for the sugary smell. One more mystery solved and one that will have to wait for a while.

Thanks guys for helping me figure this out. I sure appreciate :D Ellie is running again as good as before, smmoooooth! Got my cultivating done so every one is happy.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:49 pm


I know I said this before and this experience proves it one more time (as I have learned in much the same way) - Check the little things first.

Glad you solved it yourself. Good job!

Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:33 am

:shock: Yep had the goose before. Heart attack city when that bolt broke off. After I got the goose neck off the broken bolt stuck up 1/4 inch. I thought vice grips NO was :idea: was able to clean the threads left screw a nut onto it and plug weld it. Thermal shock must have loosened it becuse it came right out. :!: :!: :!: note whenever welding make sure the current does not go through any bearing surface :!: :!: (tie rod ends front pivot etc. or electral componit and it is a good idea to disconnect the battery. good luck billy