This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Adjustment--UPDATED

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

Governor Adjustment--UPDATED

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:20 am

Yep, I know you adjust the linkage first, and it's a freshly rebuilt engine, but it will not idle down completely. If I adjust the throttle linkage for proper idle, then top end is
short, if I adjust by the book, it won't idle down completely. I Did replace the governor throttle lever spring during the rebuild. Question: Can I go to the governor itself for adjustment for the idle speed?? And yes, I did try the carb linkage idle screw as well
as the air idle screw. I have found that if you apply pressure to the governor/carb linkage toward the front of the tractor, the idle speed will drop. OR is there another method for obtaining proper low speed idle?

Oh, BTW there is no play in the linkage at the governor.
Last edited by Bill E Bob on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Re: Governor Adjustment

Postby Rick Spivey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:30 pm

If your throttle control is at idle, and you can still "push" the idle speed down at the front of the engine, then your linkage is not adjusted correctly. Look up the exact method in the service manual, and give it a try. Then, if high speed is an issue, adjust the bolt that is on top of the governer, and points straight down. That is your high speed limit screw.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:52 pm

Rick Spivey wrote:If your throttle control is at idle, and you can still "push" the idle speed down at the front of the engine, then your linkage is not adjusted correctly. Look up the exact method in the service manual, and give it a try. Then, if high speed is an issue, adjust the bolt that is on top of the governer, and points straight down. That is your high speed limit screw.

OK, the manual states "With Engine stopped, advance the engine speed control hand lever to create tension on the governor spring. Adjust length of governor-to-carburetor control rod so that the rod slides freely into the throttle lever when the throttle is wide open--then lengthen the control rod by one turn to place spring load on the throttle lever".
I advanced the speed control lever to full adv on the quadrant. So, if I'm reading correctly,
you adv the speed control lever just till you get spring tension?? And then set the adjustment??
THAT may be my problem :oops:

cubguy's dad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49265
Tractors Owned: 1938 John Deere A
(owned 38 years)
1953 Cub
(owned 21 Years)
1963 Olds Cutlass
1970 Ford F-350
(Cub Hauler)

Postby cubguy's dad » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:25 am

OK, the manual states "With Engine stopped, advance the engine speed control hand lever to create tension on the governor spring. Adjust length of governor-to-carburetor control rod so that the rod slides freely into the throttle lever when the throttle is wide open--then lengthen the control rod by one turn to place spring load on the throttle lever".

Advance the engine speed control lever to half way then make the control rod adjustment.

I advanced the speed control lever to full adv on the quadrant. So, if I'm reading correctly,
you adv the speed control lever just till you get spring tension?? And then set the adjustment??
THAT may be my problem :oops:[/quote]

The other problem you may have is the governer buffer screw adjustment, this part is a spring that pushes against the throttle lever inside the governer, if this is set too tight (turned in too far) it will cause the engine to not return to idle also.

This adjustment is the screw and jam nut in the horizontal position down next to the fan (the manual also describes how to adjust this also) DO THIS ADJUSTMENT WITH THE ENGINE OFF!!! this is way to close to the fan with the engine running.

I would back it out one turn and see if the engine will idle.This adjiustment screw takes the "hunt" or eratic up and down of engine speed when you suddenly change engine speeds.

If it will then idle then that is the problem. To see if the buffer is adjusted right suddenly go from idle to full throttle the governor at MOST should "hunt " one time then settle down to desired engine speed. Adjusting this screw will decrease or increase the hunt in the governer. Lock down the jam nut when you are done.

Like most things this will be easier the next time, but keep us posted on your progress

Mark
Experiance is knowing what NOT to do the next time.......
1937 John Deere A (Big John)
1953 Farmall Cub (LiL Red)
Lots of projects.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:36 am

Bill,

The interpretation you just posted is exactly right. This is a little easier with two people, in order to see when you get spring tension. Others simply set the throttle to the 1/2 position, then adjust the linkage as per the manual.

So throttle to about halfway, or just spring tension (you can only see this looking in front of the engine from where these adjustments are made), carb shutter wide open, then line up the pin hole using the threaded clevis on the carb linkage.

Mark is also right about the buffer adjustment, on a normal governor, some threads should be showing outside the lock nut.

Try the linkage adjustment first, then worry about that other screw if the linkage doesn't get it for you.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Governor Adjustment--UPDATE

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 am

Have been playing with the governor and linkage. Can get the gov. to where it will "hunt" but cannot get the idle speed down. Linkage is spot-on. Have noticed I can get the idle speed down if I drop past the serrations on the lower end of the throttle quadrant. I think the new throttle lever spring is shorter so the current quadrant setting isn't low enough to reach proper idle speed. May have to add some notches to the quadrant :wink: All else is perfect. It will go from idle to full throttle with NO hesitation or hunting by the governor. I can start out at idle in 3rd gear with no stalling--soooo I really don't want to mess with perfection and the quadrant shouldn't be too hard to modify.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Governor Adjustment--UPDATED

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:16 am

Aren't you supposed to push the throttle lever to FULL when adjusting the carburetor linkage?

This is how I do it:
1. Push throttle lever to full.
2. Adjust linkage so that the pin just slides through with the carburetor fully open.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Aren't you supposed to push the throttle lever to FULL when adjusting the carburetor linkage?

This is how I do it:
2. Adjust linkage so that the pin just slides through with the carburetor fully open.

No the above descriptions are correct.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Donny M wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:Aren't you supposed to push the throttle lever to FULL when adjusting the carburetor linkage?

This is how I do it:

No the above descriptions are correct.

From what I have seen, setting the lever anywhere beyond half way gets the same result (at least if everything else is working). I think the book says 1/2. I go for full, which seems to work on any engine.

jes009
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24401
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub w/grader blade and 42" belly mower
1964 International Cub Lo-Boy

Postby jes009 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 am

Hi- I recently had to make a few adjustments to my carb and when I put it back on the throttle was a little erratic and the engine would slow down and die when I move the throttle to an idle. I know that the carb settings are correct, so I am assuming that the governor/carb linkage needs to be adjusted. I have read this thread and the service manual but still have a few questions and am hoping you all can help:

1. When adjusting the linkage, I understand that the carb "shutter" should be wide open and the throttle adjustment about half way, but should the governor arm be perpindicular to the ground when lining up the hole for the clevis?Or should that arm (where the clevis connects) be pullled towards to carb? I'm sure this is quite simple and I"m just overthinking it!
2. Is there a factory setting for the spring loaded screw on carb "shutter? Or is there a way to know how to set it?

Thanks in advance!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 am

The reason for advancing the throttle is to place the governor arm in correct (wide open) position. The screw on the carb throttle lever arm is used to adjust to the correct idle speed when the throttle is fully closed. No specified pre setting.

ParlowMillFarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02738
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

With my carb off for cleaning, I noticed my idle set screw does not engage anything. Seems it is designed to act as a stop to prevent the valve from closing all the way, but the one I have (3/4") does not hit anything.

John

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:20 pm

John, The screw end should hit the rectangular tab under the shaft. Turning that screw in or out will open or close the butterfly to change fuel flow. Do you know if your throttle shaft is OEM or has been replaced? (Where the OEM shaft goes the "triangular" piece, the peened end of the shaft should be rectangular in shape) Also, if the spring was replaced with a longer one, that may limit how far in you can turn the screw.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ParlowMillFarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Bob,
I'll send a picture
John

ParlowMillFarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
1964 JD1010

Postby ParlowMillFarm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Bob,

Here is a picture of a carb from a post by Peter person.
l_Cub_LoBoy_Carb_002.jpg
Peter Person post from 2012

Compare to the configuration of my lever assembly.

My carb.jpg
Rockwell Carb

John

Return to “Farmall Cub”