This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb or Governor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bwatson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Carb or Governor

Postby bwatson » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:02 am

My cub would idle fine but you had to run the choke about half closed to get the engine to rev up. I rebuilt the carb with the IH kit and had the same problem.

I decided the compression was to low and sent the engine to the machine shop to be bored and the crank turned. I put all new pistons, bearings -- a complete rebuild.

I took the Governor apart to clean and inspect it. There was a pin in the governer that had came out and I put it back in during cleaning and reassembly

The Cub cranks and idles like a dream, but it still will not take the throttle unless you run the choke about half closed.

Do I have a gas/carb problem or do I have a governor/timing problem?

Bobby W.
Shreveport La
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:22 am

I'd bet on a carb or fuel supply problem. Either a plugged main jet, float too low, inadequate supply of gas or even an air infiltration due to poor gasket surface seal at the carb / manifold. At least it's a place to start.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cub1947
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub1947 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:45 pm

A #66 drill works great to clean the main jet, use it in a pin vise and turn gently by hand. It fixed my surging problem.

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:43 pm

Try disconnecting the governor rod and see if it will rev up by just opening the throttle by hand. If it won't, then the carb or a large air leak is the problem.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

bwatson
10+ Years
10+ Years

thanks

Postby bwatson » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:39 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies to my message. I will put my efforts toward the carb and try the suggestions you gave me.

I will post my results.

thanks again
BW

bwatson
10+ Years
10+ Years

results

Postby bwatson » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:49 am

The Carb would not rev the engine without the governor hooked to it, so the problem is with the carb. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned the main jet and other pieces.

The engine will rev now, without the choke, to about half-way . A real improvement!! When you go beyond that it starts to lug down and you have to choke it.

I am using a small auxillary tank and have good gas flow, The fuel level (using Lurker Carl's method) is right on the money.

Any other suggestions?

thanks
BW

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:02 am

I had a similar problem. I couldn't get it to rev up when I opened the carb. I made a slight adjustment to the idle adjustment screw. I turned it out about half a turn. It works fine now, maybe a little rich at idle though. But runs great under load.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:21 am

I'd start looking for an air infiltration source. If the fuel level in the bowl stays up, your fuel supply is good. Either the fuel isn't getting through the main jet or there is too much air in the mix from a leaking manifold or gasket.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”