This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1961 Farmall CUB - Oil Leak!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

1961 Farmall CUB - Oil Leak!

Postby wwirz » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:46 pm

Hello friends -

I have a 1961 Farmall CUB. I have an oil leak that develops and drip out of the housing behind the engine. It drips onto the mower deck. I have cleaned the oil filler mesh screen in hopes it was allowing too much crankcase pressure. That did not work. It ususally starts dripping (not too bad by the way) when the tractor has run avout an hour and the throttle is past the midpoint setting.

I would appreciate thoughts on a fix and anyone who knows of a "quick fix" that works (eg engine additive, etc.)

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eric
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:31 am

Looks like you need to replace your rear engine seal. Not a really big job considering that you won't have to look at that aweful leak every time you run your cub. The hardest part is splitting the tractor. I replaced mine when I had the engine out for an overhaul. You might also want to replace the clutch pressure plate at the same time, because you have to split the tractor anyway to do this.
-Eric

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Oil Leak

Postby Tim-Devery » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:40 am

Before you rip apart the engine, My two cents...

I do not believe it is the rear engine seal. My 56' Lo-Boy did the same thing. It was the front transmission seal that was leaking.
The oil weeped out the clutch inspection hole.
It only started to leak when I ran the tractor around 1/2 hour when I cut the grass.
I also had a small oil leak around the rear PTO seal.
You can tell the difference between the two types of oil by looking at it. Trans will look clear, engine black.
I replaced the front trans seal, rear seal and Bronze bushing at the same time. Split the tractor at the trans. Total job took around 4 hours and about $40 in parts.

Eric
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:53 pm

tdevery,
You're right. I'm wrong.
I need to do the same replacement.
Where did you buy your parts from?
Thanks,
-Eric

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:50 pm

Thanks.

The oil is brown to black. I think it is the rear seal on the engine.

I am with Eric. Where can we get parts?

Thanks

Bill

Tim-Devery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tim-Devery » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:14 am

I got my part from a Case dealer way out in the "farmland"
Erb & Herery Equip Co.
22-26 n Henery ave.
New Berlinville PA 19545

He stocks a lot of cub parts.

But I believe any Case dealer could order them.

The oil if it is brown, looks like the engine seal.

The best way to find out is to simple track which oil level is dropping.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:25 am

wwirz, I might as well throw my 2 cents worth in also. If oil is dripping from hand hole cover, it is probably transmission oil. If it's dripping from the opening (may have a cover on it) between the flywheel and the oil pan it's probably engine oil.

If it's transmission oil the front main seal may be leaking. If so oil will puddle in the torque tube at the front of the transmission and then drip out if you have the front end low for a little while, such as driving down a ramp or mowing on a hill. If the oil level is high (level plug low on left side of transmission) it will make the problem worse.

If engine oil the rear seal is leaking. When you replace it you will need to use a sealer around the outer edge of the seal to keep it from leaking unless you are lucky enough to have one of the later retainers.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:54 pm

Well looks like I am faced with splitting the tractor. Never did that before. Looking forward to the experience!!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Bill

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:56 pm

With the help of my brother, I split thr tractor and replaced the rear seal. I coated the OD with a sealant. We re-coupled the tractor. The oil leak stopped for a while.

Now the problem has re-appeared. I started the tractor last weekend. Within minutes of running, fresh engine oil was coming out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing..

I plan on puuling the inspection plate to see where the leak is coming from.

Could the oil pump gasket be leaking? Does anyone know whether I can get a wrench up in there without having to split the tractor yet again?

HELP!!!!

Thanks

Bill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:22 pm

Oil pump could be leaking, but it would be unusual. No you can't get a wrench to it, it's behind the flywheel.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Leak

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:08 pm

We used a Valvoline oil that is listed for "older engines". It softens the seals I think. It did help the leaks, but did not 100% stop them.We are in the process of getting the Cub split. New seal retainer,gasket and seals. Wonder if the large "V" seal behind the retainer might be your trouble? I"m shure others might have more info about this.

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:30 pm

Thanks for the help on this.

Just to make sure............

When the lip seal is replaced, you need to coat the OD with permatex or similar gasket sealer...correct?

It is blowing my mind how the oil dripping could be starting so soon after start up with a brand new lip seal!

Need help on this. Once I split the tractor again, I do not want to do it again for a long time.

Many thanks

Bill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:44 pm

On my last one I used 3M wether strip glue. the one before I used Loctite. The Loctite held for several years, but I now have a leak there. Don't know if it is from seal spinning in holder or from another problem. I think the gasket selar is not doing a godd enough job. The problen is the seal spins in the housing. You need something more on the order of a glue, such as windshield sealer, or some of the things I have already mentioned. the old style Permates that got hard may also work.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Seal Retainer

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:18 am

Did you punch dimple the seal retainer in 3 places?
AS I understand, the new seals are a little smaller and require the punch dimples to keep them from spinning in the retainer. New style seal retainers are available from CaseIH. We got one for $123.00.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:43 pm

On my 48 I dimpled it all the way around when I used the Loctite.

Return to “Farmall Cub”