This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fence Row Limbo

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fence Row Limbo

Postby Oscar Meier » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:00 pm

I was mowing along the fence rows tonight and was ducking under low branches (Lower than usual due to heavy leaves) and some how managed to roll off the right side of the Cub. I went on the ground and the Cub went on mowing - I managed to pull the wheel to the right as I rolled off (AG tire treads don't feel to good at all) and got the Cub to turn off the fence row into the yard.

I didn't know I could run as fast as a Cub in low gear; but, I managed to jump up and got around to the left side and pushed the kill switch. I was glad I was in low gear - If not the Cub would have went until it hit something.

I guess I'll be trimming branches this weekend - otherthan a couple of skinned places - a scary lesson learned.

Oscar
48 CUB & 52 Super A

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:05 pm

Glad you came out ok. I have some that are nearly to that point, and have been thinking about trimming them. Guess you just encouraged me.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:30 am

Oscar, I'm sure glad you survived this. Now get busy with the pruner! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:56 am

Oscar, Thank god that you came through that ordeal alive. Here is an artical from our (Yesterdays) local town paper of a man who was not as lucky as you.

Red Bluff man was burned while making fire breaks during July 1 blaze

RED BLUFF Harold Black died as a result of the burns he received while trying to save his home from fire last week.
Lightning started the blaze that burned 375 acres on July 1 at Wilder and Callahan roads.
Black used his Caterpillar to make some fire breaks, but had his hands, arms and one side of his face burned.

Son Don Black said, "He finally lost control of the tractor because of the burns and jumped off. He fell and the Cat ran over his feet. He also broke a rib."
Daughter Trudy Fazio said there were two broken ribs.

Black was transported to St. Elizabeth Community Hospital, then air lifted to UC Davis Medical Center burn unit with 16 percent of his body burned, according to Fazio.
Black, 74, succumbed to his injuries about 6 p.m. on Saturday.
Harold Black had been married to Jacqueline J. Black for 55 years. They had two daughters and one son: Don Black, Trudy Fazio, and Martha Watson who died in 2003, and stepson Bill Hendrix.

He had lived in Red Bluff since 1937, the family moving to the area when he was just 13 years old. He was a rancher and he had worked as a diesel mechanic for Crane Mills in Corning and retired from Diamond International in Red Bluff.

A memorial service will be held at 1:30 p.m. Friday at Chapel of the Flowers
Then came Bronson

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:45 am

I think with all of the seat time we get sometimes we get a little laxed and forget that tractors, no matter what size, are dangerous. I was lucky - I just fell off to the side - It could have been a terrible accident if a leg or arm had gotten under the deck

I just picked up a new chainsaw chain and I'll be sharpening the loppers for a good tree branch trimming this weekend.

Thanks for the notes.

Oscar
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:44 am

Oscar Meier wrote:I just picked up a new chainsaw chain and I'll be sharpening the loppers for a good tree branch trimming this weekend.

Don't forget that the chain saw is more dangerous than the tractor!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:57 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Oscar Meier wrote:I just picked up a new chainsaw chain and I'll be sharpening the loppers for a good tree branch trimming this weekend.

Don't forget that the chain saw is more dangerous than the tractor!!

All tools are dangerous if used improperly. I'm sure we all have our stories. Most of the scars I have are from doing something stupid. But the scars I do have are proof I lived. :D :D

Oscar, Glad you're ok. As Jim said beware of the chain saw (I have a scar form one of those too) especially overhead. :roll:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:32 pm

Oscar, after reading your post I took my trimmer with me while I was mowing around the edges of my yard today, and as I came to problem limbs trimmed them. I'd just been pushing them out of the way or ducking under the bigger ones, but decided to do something about them today.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:17 pm

Spent most of the weekend with the Cub & trailer trimming low limbs and inspecting the blackberrys. It's going to be a bumper crop this year.

Anyway - no more " tractor limbo" for me.

Oscar
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Return to “Farmall Cub”