replacing alternator belt

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi everyone,

The alternator belt on my '48 cub broke and I want to replace it but I have two questions:

Can I find this belt at my auto or farm supply store?

Do I have to remove the radiator in order to take out the fan in order to get the new belt on? (or maybe a better question would be: What are the proper steps to replace this belt?)

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Re: replacing alternator belt

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:45 pm

yes on alternator belt at autoparts or NAPA
No you dont have to remove the radiator
Remove the fan shroud and fan blade assy should do it.
the manual link at the top of the page will give you directions

:D

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Remember :::::DO not try to turn the hex nut that holds the fan assembly on. If you do you
will break the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket has raised sides that hold the nut to
keep it from turning. You place a wrench on flat area of the shaft on the other side of the mounting bracket to turn the entire fan assembly and the nut stays still in its position between the sides of the mounting bracket.
Spencer

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 am

to add to what Jim has already told you, I would go ahead and oil the fan hub assembly while I was in there and lube the governer linkage a bit :D :D

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks for the responses guys--I got the belt this afternoon and will tackle the cub work later today. I did look over the manuals and found some other maintenance I can do while I have everything apart.

Will

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Seems unavoidable that I have to remove the fan to replace my alternator belt (very small and won't snake around fan) but I can find nothing in the manual or the archives. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Posco:

Do you have an alternator or a generator? In either case this should help:

GSS-1012 Electrical Equipment

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Posco wrote:Seems unavoidable that I have to remove the fan to replace my alternator belt (very small and won't snake around fan) but I can find nothing in the manual or the archives. Can someone point me in the right direction?

See if this helps. You need to go around one fan blade at a time. Not sure about alternator belts.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:08 pm

It has an alternator. I wound up taking the fan off seeing that the belt was so small. it would have never come off trying to snake it around the blades. Some mild to moderate profanity, a little bit of blood and sweat and I got her done.

Now another question. I put the new alternator and the belt on it and it starts just fine but I noticed when I pull the ignition switch with the tractor NOT running the ammeter shows it is charging. Once the tractor is running the ammeter goes to neutral.

A wire on backwards somewhere? Thanks for all of the help, I'm getting there.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Sounds like the wires are backward on the ammeter.

If it starts at 0 with the switch off, then moves to slight charge with the switch on, then it is backwards on the ammeter.

If things are working normally the ammeter should show a slight charge when the tractor is running.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks, Matt. I'll move it and see what happens.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:24 pm

The "chain link" belts from woodworking suppliers are a blessing ! Have one on my "B" alternator and has been running for over 5 years! They can be made up to any length you want - not cheap but handy! No worries mate!! Dusty B