This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gasoline

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom CA Cub '49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gasoline

Postby Tom CA Cub '49 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:04 pm

I have searched the web site and have not found an answer to this question which I suspect has been asked before. So, here goes.

Should I use regular 87 octane gasoline or a higher octane gas (89 or 92) in my cub? What is everyone else using?

Also, a little good news ... after months of restoration work on my 1949 Cub, I install the battery, pulled the starter switch and it fired right up! Needless to say, with so little time before the 4th of July Parade in Crest, California, I did not a lot of time to troubleshoot the tractor had there been a problem. I am definitely smiling tonight. :D

Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:35 pm

:P Thats great news Tom. Glad to hear that all your hard work ended up with that pleasant sound of your Cub firing off on the first try.
As for gas, I use regular (87) from the pump. I dont know of anybody that uses the higher octane in there Cubs.
Then came Bronson

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:45 am

Hi Tom

I don't have much seat time on my cub, even though I have had it and been reading the board for 3 years. Most everyone uses the 87 as JB said above. Some folks have also asked about if they needed to use a lead additive, and I also believe most do not use any, just the 87. If someone has had a valve stuck and just got it free, they may use a very small amount of Marvel mystery oil in fuel. I don't know how much or for how long though, maybe some of the pro's on here will chime in on that. I do use fuel sabilizer (STA-BIL) in my cub, as well as all my other equipment, keeps fuel fresh for quite a while and things don't get all gummed up. The Stabil brand can be used on 2 or 4 cycle engines. The stabilizer producd by Gumout says it can be used on 2 or 4 cycle engines, Kerosene engines, or Diesel engines. I have had good luck, sometimes my equipment just sits with no use, but with the STA-BIL they start up 1st or 2nd try. Paul K. in N.H.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:22 am

I just use regular (87) from the pump unless I am going to use it hard like 2 to 3 hours garden plowing where you are right on the end of the handle then I add a lead additive or just about 1 tablespoon of 30w
non det. per gal of gas.
The valves were made to use leaded fuel.
To putt putt around unleaded is fine but to work it hard it burns to hot
& the lead or oil retards the flash point so it burns cooler.
:oops: Found this out the hard way burned 2 valves. :cry:
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:53 pm

I generally use the regular 87 in the C and the Cub. I do add a little Marvel Mystery Oil though. I cant swear that it works, but ever since I put it in the Cub, it seems to run much better.

Return to “Farmall Cub”