This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Upgrade from 6 to 12 Volts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Poor Phil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Upgrade from 6 to 12 Volts

Postby Poor Phil » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:00 pm

All,

I have just purchased a Farmall Cub that I would like to use around my farm and pull things in our Christmas Parade. Unfortunitely, while it will start and run, in about 2 minutes, it stops just like it lost all electrical power. Actually, if I charge the battery it runs well longer.

I am considering changing this tractor from a 6 volt to a 12 volt tractor. That not only provide more power to the tractor, it would allow me to use a converter and run more lights on the floats (in parades).

However, before I set out to do this, I would greatly appreciate someone's advice.

Thank you, :?
Poor Phil
Bardstown, Kentucky!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:22 pm

I would say the general consensous of the people on the board is to keep it original. The six volt system works well. But its your choice.

If you are having problems with losing power, then it sounds like you have a charging problem, not that its 6volts. Do you have an ammeter on the tractor? Do you have battery ignition or magneto? Probably battery if you are losing power. Solve the charging problem, and you should be able to run indefinately.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:27 pm

Phil,

Welcome to the greatest Cub site on the internet!

Before you make a conversion, find and repair whatever ails your 6 volt system. Otherwise you'll be doing what someone wisely councelled me against many years ago against make-do repairs. It is not a kindness to the dog to cut his tail off a little at a time. Fix it first and fix it right.

Your special needs for more power seem like a good reason for a conversion to 12 volt. Have you considered at the same time adding a larger RV or marine battery?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:05 pm

Well darn! I was just through your area today. If I had had my trailer with me I would have stopped in to help! I do plan on going to the Lincoln Trail show in Brandenburg in a couple of weeks. That's close enough for a raid.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:27 pm

Bigdog wrote:Well darn! I was just through your area today. If I had had my trailer with me I would have stopped in to help! I do plan on going to the Lincoln Trail show in Brandenburg in a couple of weeks. That's close enough for a raid.

Bigdog,

That makes today's prize even sweeter! I picked it up within 1 1/2 miles of I 75!

Grandpa
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:36 pm

I'm gonna have to start talking more to Grandma! She's not keeping me posted on your activities very well!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Poor Phil
10+ Years
10+ Years

Additional Question

Postby Poor Phil » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:38 pm

When watching to see if I loose power, I will be watching the amp-meter. Is there anything else I should be watching?

Regards,
Phil
Poor Phil

Bardstown, Kentucky!

Return to “Farmall Cub”