This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Power Unit.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Boutwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70401
Tractors Owned: 3 barns full of Cubs and implements in various stages of disrepair

Cub Power Unit.

Postby Gary Boutwell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:59 am

Foreword:

Joe Howard visited the Louisiana Cub Fest.
He brought along a very nice and impressive Cub Power Unit off an old combine.

He cranked it by turning the big pulley off the PTO.
It cranked and ran fine.

Here is its history provided by Joe:

"The history of the engine is as follows: Grew up on a farm in Michigan and my dad had a IH "64" combine which was powered by a cub engine, pulled by a tractor. Of course it was only used a few days a year. When the old man would go to the grain elevator to have grist made ( and made the mistake of leaving me home ) I'd put in a gallon or so of gasolene and run that engine the entire time as I loved to hear it run. Knew how long he'd be gone.....and how many glasses of beer he'd have at the watering hole so I knew how long I could "play". He always commented how easily it started after sitting up for almost a year and I assured him IH sure made good engines, whether he ever knew or not I don't know. He let it overheat and it came to a stop in the field and he never tried to start it again. Sat in the shed better part of 30 years. On a visit he said he was going to junk the combine and I admonished him to not let it to with that engine. Long story short I pulled the head and found water in the cylinders but it freed up easily and I got it going. It will be completely restored. Another one I aquired a couple years ago is in the process of being redone now and when my buddy gets here this weekend, I'll get him to take a picture and send it to you.........it is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Have 3 stationary engines all toll and will restore all of them as long as Wall Street doesn't completely sink my ship."

Wonderful story and history.

Thanks Joe for sharing it with us.
Sure hope you can send some photos to post along with this story.
Louisiana Cub Fest, March 5 & 6, 2010
http://ihc31.com/cubfest
Gary Boutwell
Hammond, LA

3 barns full of Cubs of various condition

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Power Unit.

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:54 am

What a great story and piece of family history.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

That really is a sweet-running power unit that Joe brought. I was glad to see that mvhicrop got his going as well. :D :D
Old Age: The phase of life when nothing works and everything hurts...

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057

Postby 56cub » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 pm

That is a great story!

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Never saw a cub power unit here in TN. Most balers and combines had a Wisconsin.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Here is a picture of Joe Howards stationary unit taken while he visited the Lousiana Cubfeast March 6 and 7th..

L to r Alan Riley ,unidentfiied gentleman in the white hat, Rick Spivey in the truck , Cub Bud , Billy Ray in red cap , 2 in background unitdetified , Buddy Banks , Skeet , Cecil with back turned, Terry Foster aka "TRay" , Joe Howard far right

:D t
Gary Boutwell wrote:Foreword:

Joe Howard visited the Louisiana Cub Fest.
He brought along a very nice and impressive Cub Power Unit off an old combine.

He cranked it by turning the big pulley off the PTO.
It cranked and ran fine.

Here is its history provided by Joe:

"The history of the engine is as follows: Grew up on a farm in Michigan and my dad had a IH "64" combine which was powered by a cub engine, pulled by a tractor. Of course it was only used a few days a year. When the old man would go to the grain elevator to have grist made ( and made the mistake of leaving me home ) I'd put in a gallon or so of gasolene and run that engine the entire time as I loved to hear it run. Knew how long he'd be gone.....and how many glasses of beer he'd have at the watering hole so I knew how long I could "play". He always commented how easily it started after sitting up for almost a year and I assured him IH sure made good engines, whether he ever knew or not I don't know. He let it overheat and it came to a stop in the field and he never tried to start it again. Sat in the shed better part of 30 years. On a visit he said he was going to junk the combine and I admonished him to not let it to with that engine. Long story short I pulled the head and found water in the cylinders but it freed up easily and I got it going. It will be completely restored. Another one I aquired a couple years ago is in the process of being redone now and when my buddy gets here this weekend, I'll get him to take a picture and send it to you.........it is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Have 3 stationary engines all toll and will restore all of them as long as Wall Street doesn't completely sink my ship."

Wonderful story and history.

Thanks Joe for sharing it with us.
Sure hope you can send some photos to post along with this story.

murfpcola
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32503

Postby murfpcola » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm

I am new to the forum and now own one of the stationary engines that Joe Howard owned. I was wondering if you could possibly repost the picture of his engine because I cannot see it for some reason. Thanks in advance.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”