This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub carb and engine follow up ??s

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
alan
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub carb and engine follow up ??s

Postby alan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:55 pm

brought home a 49 cub/w belly mower this spring and with some help from this board, it now does a serviceable job of mowing. i have two current questions:
1. when i bought it, it smoked a little -- the oil was very thin and black . i changed oil and filter, and with the fresh 30wt, smoking stopped. but with-in a few hours of use, it again started smoking and oil is very thin and black again.....any ideas on the cause of this?? there does not appear to be any oil in the water, and it doesn't seem to use water......

2. while it now has much better power than when i got it, its still not quite right. while i have cleaned the carb that's on it, i'm suspecting the carb is still not where it should be. i have an extra carb that i'd like to get rebuilt. since i really don't have time to mess with it right now, i'm looking for a good vendor to have the extra carb rebuilt....can you reccomend anyone??
thanks -- alan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:35 pm

Alan, if you have the 6touch control lift, check your reservoir level. If it's down, the hydraulic pump is leaking hydraulic oil into the engine.
If that doesn't seem to be the case, then it is most likely getting more gas than it can burn, and the excess is washing by the pistons and contaminating the oil. Either case is BAD for your crank bearings and should be repaired ASAP.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

alan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alan » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:22 am

thanks -- i do have touch control, and it does leak, but i thought the leak was external around the main shaft, but maybe not all of it....i was planning on tackling it next winter, after mowing season. maybe i'll have to change oil more often to nurse me thru the summer....what am i looking at -- seals, gaskets, o rings or more?? alan

Return to “Farmall Cub”