This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Zenith vs IHC Carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Old Tractor Fixer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97045
Tractors Owned: 47 cub, Farmal C, MH pony, AC G, JD A, JD D, Silver King, (2) MM, Rumley Oil pull, and about 20 others including several Cats.

Zenith vs IHC Carb

Postby Old Tractor Fixer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 am

I am new to the site and have checked but don't see this addressed. I have 47 cub. I has had a Zenith 13794 replacement carb installed. We recently got the tractor. It had been doing some snow plowing in Colorado. Looks like the carb was new in 2002 per the tag. The problem is it starts a little hard. Then when warm I can get a real nice idle but when you rev it up or drive it was white fuel smoke out the stack and just about chokes the driver. I also tends to fowl the #1 plug. Is this somehow jetted for high altitude and we are now running at sea level? Is it the wrong carb? My research shows the proper Zenith would be a 13781. Should I just order the new IHC that is available or is this one easily fixable?

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Zenith vs IHC Carb

Postby redfin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 am

The typical carb would have been the 3/4" IH updraft . The Zenith came along later and are somewhat cold natured from my experience. I am sure you will gat answers on the sides oif the fence on this one. :D

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 am

Welcome Old Tractor Fixer to the site.
but when you rev it up or drive it was white fuel smoke out the stack and just about chokes the driver
Alot of members have replacement Zeniths on their cubs. Some run fine, some run alittle on the rich side. Sounds like yours runs rich. We did a test on carbs a couple years ago, on the dyno, between the Zenith and the IH carb on a cub of your vintage. The IH performed better on that cub. I also know IH made changes to the IH carb and some of those run different than other IH's, so I guess what I'm trying to say is-- it may take some adjusting with any carb you install. Maybe some others will be along to give some pointers or their views.

I see Jim beat me to the punch :D

Again, welcome to the site and keep posting,

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cubs!

When only one spark plug is fouling, the symptom does not indicate a carburation problem. The carburetor would coat ALL the spark plugs with excess soot. When only a few cylinders are having such problems, look for ignition (tune up) or internal mechanical problems. Since the tractor is new to you, start with a complete tune up and include a valve adjustment and compression check. You may as well start with a clean slate and get the parameters reset to manufacturer's spec before trying specific repairs.

White smoke is water vapor. Black smoke is excess fuel. Blue smoke is oil. Your description is that of water, common in cold weather due to condensation but it should not keep blowing white smoke after the engine reaches operating temperature. Once again, a tune up will help correct, or narrow down, the problem by eliminating the most common causes of poor performance.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:20 am

My Zennith carb always ran rich no matter how much adjustments I made. Nevertheless, it still ran good but you could smell the unburt fuel in the exhaust - it's better than running lean I guess.

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:29 am

WELCOME Old Tractor Fixer.
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:44 am

Welcome to the forum !!!!!! When we all have problems the heavy hitters here will chime in and bail us out. Its a good thing because were else would we go to repair these awesome machines.

I agree with the above posts i would check the ignition wire, compression and the valve adjustment on the cylinder with the fouled plug first. I would also clean out the holes in the distributor cap too with that special wire brush thats made for that. I've learned that a bad connection between the cap and ignition wire will make 1 cylinder not perform correctly too. If the cover on the wires aren't sealed moisture can get in there and rust will form making it so the juice won't flow to the sparkplug. I learned this the first time by going thru the whole fuel and gas system before i noticed it was the ignition wire.

Does the white smoke smell like anti-freeze? That could be another problem.

I have noticed on my tractors i will get some blue smoke on start up but then it will clear. But if i use it everyday it won't smoke at all. I figure its from not being run enough. These tractors been sitting a longtime idle with newer engines before i got them. I don't think there broken in yet.

On my zenith carbs they all have the block off plug on the high speed jet. So its non adjustable. If the carb is too rich i wonder if the adjustable needle setup from another zenith carb will work on our carbs so the high speed jet can be leaned a little? I guess they set the zenith carbs a little rich to play it safe. But since these are water cooled engines they can run a little leaner. You could also adjust your sparkplugs too by going to a hotter heat range too. Cold plugs do tend to foul. If we had a bad cylinder that was prone to fouling we would change that one plug to a hotter one.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 am

Just in case you didn't know already. Cub owner's manuals, parts manuals and GSS-1411 Blue Ribbon Service Manual are available on-line via the "Manuals" link at the top of each page on this website. I suggest you also order hard copy reprints from a company like Binder Books, nothing better than having information in your hands for some pillow reading.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:40 am

OTF:
Old Tractor Fixer wrote:I am new to the site and have checked but don't see this addressed. I have 47 cub. I has had a rZenith 13794 eplacement carb installed. We recently got the tractor. It had been doing some snow plowing in Colorado. Looks like the carb was new in 2002 per the tag. The problem is it starts a little hard. Then when warm I can get a real nice idle but when you rev it up or drive it was white fuel smoke out the stack and just about chokes the driver. I also tends to fowl the #1 plug. Is this somehow jetted for high altitude and we are now running at sea level? Is it the wrong carb? My research shows the proper Zenith would be a 13781. Should I just order the new IHC that is available or is this one easily fixable?

I just googled Zenith 13794 and 13781 Carburetors, cause I am not used to Zenith's. Probably only have seen a couple, but.. nonetheless.. I found that these two carbs are essentially interchangeable ( :?: ) as the same kit is used for both. Wether or not the jets are the same, is still up in the air.

farmallparts.com wrote:Carburetor Rebuild Kit - Farmall Cub - Zenith #13794, 13781
Year Range: 1958 - 1977
Catalog Number: FP24102

Should be some useable links in the Google search though.

So.. now to the good stuff :big smile:

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

The Welcome Wagon is a relatively brief introduction to the information that is currently available on Cub tractors, and answers many of the common questions new members ask right of the bat. Although it is a bit overwhelming :shock: , it has been designed to actually be copied to a Word Processor such as Microsoft Word (which preserves the active links), and saved to your desktop for easy reference at a later date or when you have a bit more time to read all the information contained in the links below. Please do so, enjoy and I hope this will be a useful aid in learning more about your New Cub Tractor :!: :D

Filling out your Image Profile is a real help. It just needs to be - State,City, County, a lot less than what is available in your local phone book. Knowing where you are will help in members offering to come help, when you are looking for parts - the area that would be useful to you etc., Also our CubFests, Mini-Fests or a simple KaffeeKlatsch/get together over coffee and a doughnut etc., to help each other benefits. Just a thought :!:

When adding signature lines to your profile, the use of animated or non-animated banners and large graphics files must be avoided. These files consume large amounts of bandwidth and cause slow page loading, especially for those forum members using dialup connections.

Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ Prior to Posting. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub. One of the other projects we have been working on and it will be a continuing effort is the The Cub Book of Knowledge. This the the place to go to get all the quick links to some very good articles written by many members of the forum on solving some of the problems we encounter as we repair, maintain and up-grade our Cubs. Keep looking for this to grow.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub. In addition to this basic information, there are also a number of other useful tools available on the server. There is the Specialty Services page which has contact info for neat stuff like getting your seats recovered, buying quality Decals, Serial Number tags and a host of other neat items. Also there are the Parts Pages - both Used Parts Suppliers and New Parts Suppliers pages with links to quality dealers. I am always looking for YOUR favourite dealers for New and Used Parts to include here. These pages are intended to complement our Official FarmallCub.com Website Sponsors:I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better if you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.

IF you really want to get the skinny on all things Cub, might I suggest you get a copy of Ken Updike's Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet's :?: . While you are at it Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet is Ken's latest addition to the series. Along with Guy Fay's Letter Series Originality Guide, these are three must have's in anyone's collection.

In addition to the above information, don't forget to check out the various articles that are available to help with your Repair, Restore, Rebuild or just your Maintenance Projects. There are a number of sub pages such as Electrolysis or Rust Zapper's, Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques, Implement and Part Sketches and of course the Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions which has the Paint Chart and the Paint Committee Decisions links.

Oh, and while the program still lasts.. you might want to check the Announcement: Navistar Free Gas Cap Offer - On-Line Form thread at the top of the Cub Forum and send away for the new style safety cap before that program runs out as well. The program has been extended and no new definite end-date has been announced at this point. It is an extension only and may end rather quickly depending on available stocks. Please do take advantage of this offer and get the new safety caps :idea: :!:

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Old Tractor Fixer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 47 cub, Farmal C, MH pony, AC G, JD A, JD D, Silver King, (2) MM, Rumley Oil pull, and about 20 others including several Cats.

Postby Old Tractor Fixer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info. The exhaust definately smells of unburned fuel, no sign of and anitfreeze smell. Smoke is a light white haze, not billows. All plugs soot up some just #1 fouls 1st.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:04 am

OTF, If you rule out the suggestions from the other guys, and find yourself back to the issue of the newer Zenith carb supplying just alittle more gas than your older cub needs, here's something else to think about before you spend any money. If you do a search back in the archives, you'll find that the original IH carb that went on the early cubs, like '47,(I think it was the R1 version) had some smaller/different internal parts, like smaller diameter choke shaft/seals, discharge nozzle was drilled different, main jet orfice was smaller,not sure about the idle tube or main bleed orfice, etc. If you buy another IH carb, it may work great on your cub, but there's still a chance it may run a tad rich and not be the exact carb needed. It'd be great if you knew someone who would allow you to put their IH carb on your cub just to see how different it runs, but you still might have different results from the next one you try.

Don't give up, and keep us "up to date" on your findings.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Old Tractor Fixer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Old Tractor Fixer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 am

Well I finally got the cub running right. I checked the basics, Plugs, compressions, etc. everything checked out. I found the plugs were hotter so it had this problem for awhile. I pulled the Zenith carb I didn't find anything wrong but found screwdriver marks inside so someone had been chasing this at the carb before. At this point i decided the Zenith was a lost cause. I bought a rebuilt IHC carb from Farmallcub It now runs great. In addition it looks 100% better. It was worth the price just for howmuch better it looks.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

OTF

Old Tractor Fixer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Old Tractor Fixer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:08 am

I made a mistake in last post. I got the IHC rebult from Farmall Parts.com.

OTF

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:07 am

Interesting point about the jet size. I grew up in Colorado and a 'high altitude' tune up was necessary. I mainly consisted of a smaller main jet and advance the timing 2 deg. It had to do with the thinner air. Most car dealers would make the change before the car was sold. Now it would be difficult to find an old carb man and various size jets.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:37 am

Welcome to the best forum on the net!