This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck bolts...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Stuck bolts...

Postby Ronny Bailey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm

I've been really lucky getting the nuts and bolts loose on the Cub.
There are just a few left that refuse to budge.
They are the one that holds the toolbox down and two in the battery box.
I've been spraying them with PB Blaster and hitting them with a hammer every few days for over a month now.
They aren't any more rusty than the others, so I don't know why they won't come loose.
The two battery box bolts near the shifter came out after just a few days.
Looks like I'm going to have to try something else.
Any ideas?
The two plugs for priming the oil pump are stuck just as bad, but they're not a priority.

This may not be the reason they're stuck, but here's what they were under when I started this project:
Attachments
floorboard.jpg
Some of the free fertilizer from the rats...
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Stuck bolts...

Postby Former Member » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:11 pm

IMHO
Break them off to get to where you can get the PBBlaster on the threads, then you can use an easyout or weld a nut to them to get them out. Sometimes you just have to get mean.

If you get any movement, spray again and tighten up again, then loosen........again

I just did these same bolts. once I broke them and could get at them, they came right out

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Holy cow......that is one huge mess.....I know others will chime in soon.....I have been snapping a few myself...I will post pictures of my progress tomorrow. The air filter has to come off for a good old fashion clean up and service..........
Robert (going to be fighting rusted bolts too) Miller

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Ronny, If you have a torch (acetylene, propane, MAPP) heating them red often helps. Also, if you have an impact wrench, the vibration from it can also free up the stubborn ones. You're lucky if the bolt heads in the battery box are still in good shape, they are often pretty badly corroded.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

troopfpc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07461
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub, 1951 Cub, 198? JD 500C, 1954 Oliver OC3

Postby troopfpc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Ronnie, did you torch them? If not, try heating them up and then spray them down when still hot with the PB. Do it a few times and see if it works.
I know a little about everything and alot about nothing....

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 pm

If you can get a chisel in on the battery box bolts, I have had luck catching a side of the bolt head and slugging it a few times to break them loose.

Sometimes it have found it better just to ring those bolt heads off and once you get the box out of the way, then work on the bolts. Once the box is out of the way you can get at the bolts with vise grips, grinders, easy-outs, etc.

t jackson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21157

Postby t jackson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 pm

how about kroil or freeze and release and a small propane torch?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:37 pm

If you are in no big rush - keep spraying with solvent every other day or so and wait and wait and wait.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:08 am

I'm not in a rush to get them out; they're just taking so long to come loose that frustration is beginning to set in.
Can't do a lot on the Cub with the broken head bolt, so I thought I would paint the tool and battery boxes.
Don't know how to weld, so that's not an option for me. Can't quite bring myself to intentionally break a bolt off. :?
I've spent so much effort trying to not break them off!

I don't have a torch either, but I could get one.

The most logical method, I think, is for to use the impact wrench to rattle them real good.

But that leads to another problem I have that's a little off-topic. The 240v line to the barn has developed a short.
The previous owner did a great job on the building (he's a woodworker), but was a cheapscate with other stuff.
He apparently used scrap wire on it-an awful mess. Splices everywhere, and most without wire nuts.
Also, the line with the short in it is buried and runs under a wide driveway.
No PVC protecting it - just concrete poured on top of the wire! :evil:
With all the other projects I've got going, fixing something that may have been caused by someone else's cheapness is kind of annoying.
I just need to get off my behind and fix it. Until I do, no compressor or impact wrench, etc.
And that's my rant for the month. :)
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

capecodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capecodcub » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:04 am

Ronnie,
Funny you have brought this up, since I just went through the exact same bolt extraction last week! You have recieved some good advice, but I have a problem with some of it. One thing is people say "heat the bolts red hot". The reason you heat to get something loose, is to expand the metal around the fastner, hence allowing the bolt to loosen up. I am a very impacient person and didn't/couldn't wait for days to loosen something up. I considered posting my procedure as to how I did it, but opted not to. So here goes. The key is the heat, but you need to heat the axle tube right under the seat platform and at the back behind the bat. box. I use a rose bud with oxy/acetelyne and heat enough to just get good and hot. Than I throw this little tool at it
This set is awesome. It is a Craftsman tool, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... s+%26+Dies
My bolts were so rotten and gone, I figured there was no way they were coming out. But I just used the heat, some Kroil, and than these babies and the 3 totally rotten battery box ones came out and the tool box bolt. The heat in the right place is the key. Good luck.
David Svarczkopf

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:31 am

Battery box bolts are the most difficult to remove because of galvanic action. Dissimilar metals in contact with each other and a slight current will cause the metals to fuse together. Throw in a little pigeon poop and you have a strong weld. So get out the torch or chisel and get mean.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:50 am

Well here is one instance a hammer can come in handy.

Sometimes if you rap on the top of the bolt with a hammer you can jar the bolt and work it loose. I have done it and it has worked. My neighbor taught me this trick. He calls it "Waking up the bolt". I had about 3 radiator bolts that I broke loose this way.

It's worth a try. Good Luck.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

pharmerphil3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06468
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub
1961 Cub
1963 Cub
1964 Cub Cadet 70
1969 Cub Cadet 125
100 Spreader
144 Cultivator
3 Field Cultivator
22 Sickle Mower
193 Plow
54-Plow
59 Wood's Mower
2030 John Deere

Postby pharmerphil3 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 am

Ron, I had the hardest time with those same bolts. If you are not in a rush, soak them good with Kroil, and then get a torch and heat them up good and hot. It worked for me.

Good Luck
Phil

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 am

Heat!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:48 am

Those are about the worst bolts on Cub... Aall the tips are good ones, but a big part of the problem is the battery box is in the way (except on my 70, the whole bottom is gone). One other trick that worked for me is cutting down the sides of the head to be able to use a smaller (possibly metric) socket. I think I still have the bolt and socket well stuck together as an art object somewhere.

All those bolts are through holes, so there may be rust on the inside of the tube.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”