This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weak running/ mowing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Weak running/ mowing

Postby denton » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:02 pm

1. I have been noting that over the past dozen or so hours I have had a loss of power. As I have had to clean the carb every so often I assumed this was the problem and did that today. Got so bad that it would not even start. I checked the spark at the coil and it was very hot. Checked the spark at the plugs and it was really weak. I changed the rotor button and the distributor cap (which looked fine) and she ran like a race car. I forgot how much power she used to have.

I never knew how a weak spark could eat power.

2. I have been doing most of my field mowing using a Woods 42C. I have been mowing mostly in third gear on the contour with grass 8-10 inches high. I do keep the blades sharp. I was considering getting a wider deck and dropping to 2nd gear. Since I don't have a proofmeter on the cub it's hard to tell ground speed, however 2nd seems like it's really slow to mow with. Can you fellows with the 60 inch mowers mow in 3rd gear or do you have to mow in 2nd? The 42 mows smoothly in third but if I drop to 2nd it looks as good as a finish mower.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:39 pm

Denton, sometime i'd love to see your setup. You're the only person I know that can mow in 3rd gear with a cub. Most of them have all they can handle in 2nd. 3rd gear is 6 1/2 miles per hour. Does your cub by chance have a gear reducer on it? It is a unit aobut 6 inches wide bolted between the left final drive and the transmission. It would have a lever on it to change speeds.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:11 pm

I couldn't stay in the seat in third gear with either one of my Cubs where I have to mow, beside the fact they wouldn't have enough power .
Jim Turner

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:47 am

If I run any of my Cubs in 3rd gear across a field I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Donny M on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:13 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Denton, sometime i'd love to see your setup. You're the only person I know that can mow in 3rd gear with a cub. Most of them have all they can handle in 2nd. 3rd gear is 6 1/2 miles per hour. Does your cub by chance have a gear reducer on it? It is a unit aobut 6 inches wide bolted between the left final drive and the transmission. It would have a lever on it to change speeds.

I have pretty much a standard setup. No gear reducer. I didn't know that most people don't mow with the 42 in 3rd. Real heavy grass like down in my damp bottom land calls for second. A gear ratio somewhere between 2nd and 3rd would be optimum for the 42 inch. That's why I was wondering about something a little wider and drop to 2nd. I mowed for exactly one hour yesterday after 2.5 hours troubleshooting and mowed in one continuous concentric circle to see how much I mowed in 1 hour but time got me and I never got to walk off the radius. I'm gonna do that again and report.

As far as bumpyness, I probably do need to get a seat cover. I am very pleased, however, at how much the spring takes up the jolts. One downside. I did a minor restoration on this cub about 2 years ago and she looked very nice then. Full time chores sure do ding up a paint job. I used 2150 with hardener and the coolant overflow , minor drips, and gasoline simply eat IH 2150.

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:33 am

I have a '48 that's in fairly good condition with a woods 42 and there is no possible way that I could mow 8 to 10" grass in 3rd gear. I also keep the blades pretty sharp; but, a good day with dry grass 2nd is the best I can hope for. (That's cutting 6" off 8" grass)

We also have some steep hills & fence row to mow and I couldn't even think about 6 MPH speed to do cutting. How do you turn at that speed when you are cutting?

I don't doubt what you are saying; but, it seems you have a "Super Cub" on your hands.

Oscar
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Mongo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mongo » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:09 pm

Ditto on mowing in 2nd gear :)

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:57 pm

Thanks fellas. I know I don't have an Ubercub. Maybe since most of the 42C is rotted away anyway, she runs light! Gotta watch out for groundhog holes in 3rd, that's for sure.