This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

buying help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
msmith
10+ Years
10+ Years

buying help

Postby msmith » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:13 pm

I am wanting to buy a cub and have found two that I am looking at. One is a 1949 model with a 59 mower deck. The PTO will not engage and the owner said that there is a small metal ring just under the gear shifter that needs to be welded. He said that he fixed it several years ago the first time. I have no idea what he is talking about. It has been converted to 12 volt. Starts easy and drives in all gears. The price is $1200.

The second has the square grill, painted red, with the exhaust going under the tractor to the rear. It comes with a 42 inch IH mower. This one runs great and the owner uses it on a regular basis. It is still 6 volt. The price is $1800.

Does 6 or 12 volt make any difference and which mower deck would the tractor cut best with. This will be just a hobby for me.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:30 am

The pto problem on the 49 is not a particularly difficult or expensive fix. (if the current owner didn't mess something up with his "welding") The 5 foot deck can be a bit much if the tractor isn't in good condition, but a decent cub will handle it fine. 12 volt system is not an issue unless you want to restore to original condition. Still, it's usually only a battery and light bulbs and maybe a coil if it's battery ignition.
The later model cub with the 42" mower would be my choice at the prices you list. It will handle the mower fine and if you have any trees around your property, the underslung exhaust is very beneficial. Besides, with the smaller mower, you get to ride your cub around the yard a little longer.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:29 am

I agree with Big dog, and will add one note, the 42 inch mower is the better choice if you do some mowing where the grass/weeds get taller rather than being mowed every week. If you are failry new to cubs go to http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html and do some reading.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”