This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mixed Up Electrical System 6 volt and 12 volt?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub Med
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mixed Up Electrical System 6 volt and 12 volt?

Postby Cub Med » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:21 pm

Okay, I admit that I was SO excited about my Cub purchase that I never took the time to examine the entire package! When I got my Cub home I ran it for an hour or so then noticed it started stalling. Come to find out the shade tree guy that got it running and sold it to me had hooked up a 12 volt coil and battery by passing the old 6 volt system. :oops: :oops:
Now that I've seen the error of his ways! :evil: I'm stuck trying to figure out exactly where to start putting it back right, while wondering what was wrong with the original 6 volt positive ground system that he rigged it with the 12 volt system. :shock: :shock:

Some of you have offered advise in correcting the 6 volt PG system but do not realize what I have, or in my case, have not to work with! :oops:

Where do I start? I sure like my little 49 Cub but not sitting still! :D
A great ideas never lack credit, and credit never lacks a lender! :~)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:27 pm

do you want to return to original or go 12 volt? assuming the generator is operational, a 6 volt coil (NAPA) and a 6 volt group 1 battery is all that's probably required. you will need to repolarize the generator.
if you're staying 12 volt, then a small single wire 12 volt alternator will handle the charging duties. then change the headlight bulbs.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”