This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Making Wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Making Wiring

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:10 pm

How many of you guys make your own electrical hookup wiring? (I'm almost at the rewiring stage with my 51 restoration so I'm real interested now . . .) I know I could splurge for a premade wire package, but I'd rather learn to make my own. Plus my 51 was previously converted to 12 volts so I might need custom wires anyway.

My first question is this: I've seen pictures on this site of Cubs with rubber sleeved terminals that are a lot slicker (and would stay drier) than anything I could do with regular crimp terminals. Are there heat shrink insulator kits or automotive crimp terminals or something like that?

My second question is regarding the battery cable: I read previous posts suggesting 1/0 welding cable (84 inches long I recall) . My NAPA dealer says I should solder the cable to terminals with rosin core solder rather than crimping them. Anyone done that? I also recall a photo of rubber sleeved battery cable terminals someone posted several months back. How were they done?

Any help and tips would, as always, be really appreciated.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:09 pm

Paul, Making your own wiring harness is no big deal. Get good quality crimp terminals and a good crimper. Heat shrink tubing is available in many sizes and really helps seal out dirt and the weather. As far as the battery cables go, I would recommend crimping them for a good mechanical connection and then solder it for good electrical connection. It's overkill, but to solder them only without crimping will not make a good mechanical connection. There is a link on Rudi's site to the battery cables that Bill Poor and I designed, built and installed on my tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:53 pm

Thanks Bigdog!
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall Cub”