This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas Tank Repair Progress

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Gas Tank Repair Progress

Postby johnbron » Fri May 28, 2004 4:35 pm

Heres a couple pics of my planned tank fix. I had the tank sand-blasted and then I spent a 1/2 a day custom making a patch for the hole. (Primative-Tools) Today I took it to the radiator shop to let them finish the job. The Rad-Man said, I wish you would have made the patch out of copper and then said he will use my patch as a template and make one out of copper as it bonds better with solder. I said go ahead if you must, At least I dont feel like I wasted my time & effort making the steel one.

Rusted-out Hole.
http://[Sorry: Tinypic.com not allowed].com/51es

Patch I made for repair.
http://[Sorry: Tinypic.com not allowed].com/51ep
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri May 28, 2004 4:55 pm

Way to go you ole hillbilly :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri May 28, 2004 6:02 pm

Darn the luck!

It looked as if you had a nice paint job on that hood too. My tank had some rust in it, but I hope 50 years of varnish kept it from eating through. I sandblasted (plastic media) the insides, (as much as I could with the baffle) and then I stuck my air hose in it and let it blow all the accumalated media in the area for an hour or so to blow loose any lost rust, that I could not actually see. Cleaned it all out and then coated the whole inside with "Red-Coat" tank liner.

I let it sit for about a week to let it dry good and painted it and bolted it on and put about 5 gallons of gas in it and SO far, no leaks (knock on wood) EXCEPT for Monday I came home and there was a puddle of gas under the tractor. At $2.00 per gallon I had to find out where it was coming from. Luckily it was only the sediment bowl gasket not sealing. WHEW! thank God!

I figure I would do as you have with a patch, but I would like yourself make it out of steel. Copper works great, but steel can be used also, main thing is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. as with any soldering project.

I would consider using some of that "Red-Coat" or simliar product to line your tank too. It only cost me $25.00 for a quart and I did three smaller tanks besides my Cub tank. They told me at the radiator shop that once it's opened, it don't have much shelf life. Still have a couple pints left in the can.

John

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri May 28, 2004 6:49 pm

John N wrote:Darn the luck!

It looked as if you had a nice paint job on that hood too.

I would consider using some of that "Red-Coat" or simliar product too.
John

John, Thats not a paint job, That is red primer that I put on after I had the tank sand-blasted. I am also having it sealed while its at the radiator shop. I think he uses the same "Red-Coat sealer that you are talking about. He also said that it is very flamable and he can only get it when the salesman comes by his shop cause most carriers will not or cannot ship it.
____________________________-

QUOTE: Donny M
Way to go you ole hillbilly
:!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donny, You accusin me of watchin that "Deliverence" movie. :?:
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri May 28, 2004 7:53 pm

If the squeal fits... :P :P :P :P

Return to “Farmall Cub”