This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adjust carb for cold weather?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Adjust carb for cold weather?

Postby ricky racer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:13 am

With the cold weather gripping the Midwest I am wondering if I should enrich-en the fuel mixture on my F-Cub. It seems that it is somewhat down on power in the cold weather. If I slightly close the choke, it seems to run better and have more power. Do any of you guys adjust the carb for the cold weather? I think I'm going to give it a try.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Re: Adjust carb for cold weather?

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 am

I would not recommend doing this. The only adjustment you would be able to make would involve taking the carb apart and adjusting the float. The fuel mixture screw would only change the idle settings. I guess the easiest thing you could do is purchase a seperate larger metering jet and change it out if you want to richen up the mixture.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Carb adjustments aren't usually necessary because of temperature, however one thing to think about... the colder air is more dense so if anything it would result in a LEANER mixture. Time to look for a problem elsewhere. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:00 pm

GW is right you may have a problem else where too. But remember these do take a longtime to warm up too. I haven't played with my cubs that much yet so i'm not sure how finiky the carbs are from a summer setting to a winter setting being liquid cooled there different than air cooled engines. If you have the correct carb/jetting for the cub it should be ok since its built/jetted for north america. Motorcycles are jetted different for being used in different places around the world. Altitude and climate matters too.

I always had winter and summer adjustments on my carb's on my chainsaws too.

Just yesterday i had to readjust the carb on my 70 cub cadet even though it ran fine all summer the colder weather throws the adjustment off. Once its readjusted its running fine again. I just couldn't push the choke all the way in(off).
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:09 pm

I've noticed my carb get's a frost layer on the outside of it in the weather I've been running it in lately. 10 degrees to zero degrees. Have you heard of a frosty carb? I've never seen that happen before and was wondering if it needed adjustment

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:37 pm

ToddW wrote:I've noticed my carb get's a frost layer on the outside of it in the weather I've been running it in lately. 10 degrees to zero degrees. Have you heard of a frosty carb? I've never seen that happen before and was wondering if it needed adjustment

Frost on the carb is perfectly normal in cold weatherI can't remember a gas tractor that didn't frost up.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Todd,

Here's a discussion of carb heat. Although not mentioned in the article, frost also forms on the outside of the carburetor in humid conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_heat
Last edited by Don McCombs on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Exterior frost isn't a problem but it will clog up the interior and prevents the carburetor from functioning as intended.

It used to be called "carburetor icing" and created in a multitude of performance problems. The ice will create additional performace issues when it melts. A variety of warming and preheating devices have been used in automotive applications involving rerouting hot exhaust gas, capturing exhaust manifold heat and inserting tiny electric heaters between the carb and manifold to minimize the problem. Fuel injection finally solved that pesky carburetor icing problem!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info on frosting carb. I enjoy the seat time when moving snow better. The air has been so cold that the humidity has been very very low. what little air moisture there was must have caused the frost

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:16 pm

I would not recommend it. Let it warm up a little and you will be okay.

I do think Carl may be on to something. Fuel Injection may be the way to go. That sounds like a good project for someone.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Does anyone add dry gas to there gas tanks?

I mainly use a dry gas when we keep on getting warm to cold snaps. This is when moisture can form inside the gas tanks. The hot to cold or the cold to hot is hard on our cars/trucks too and probably the same on our tractors. Moisture can surely screw things up. Its good to keep the gas tanks full during the winter.

Right now all my tractor gas tanks are full to the top and seafoam(stabilizer) is added too. I just did a start up lastweek and everything ran great. When we get another warm up i'll start them all up again to get the juices flowing in the battery and flow some new gas thru the carbs too. Then its back to sleep again.

Fuel injection has solved a lot of problems with carbuerators but we still need to use a fuel injection cleaner at least once a year. To keep them free and operating properly.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:45 pm

You don't need dry gas anymore, it's already in the gas these days. Ethanol.

I keep the fuel tanks empty over the winter. No varnish, no stale gas, no water.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23069

Postby Mark In Richmond » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56 pm

Another option for these cold cub carb issues is to move south.
It's nice down here. 10 and zero degees makes me cold just thinking about it.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:26 am

I seldom use my Cub in winter, but I used to. I found that with the Cubs lack of a thermostat, it was near impossible to adequately warm the engine. My solution was to cover the radiator with an old floor mat, strapped on with bungee cords. Just be sure to remove it when the weather warms back up.

BudTuba
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14546

Postby BudTuba » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:49 pm

It is not intuitive, but the carburetor adjustments from the manual available elsewhere on this web site clearly said the the idle adjustment screw does not change the amount of fuel flowing past the needle, but the amount of air being directed through the venturi bypass to mix with the fuel. Therefore, to het a richer mixture, you must turn the idle adjustment screw in (clockwise) to reduce the air flow and enrich the mixture. This is also important if you are fuel starved when opening the throttle, causing the engine to stall before it can come up to speed.

Return to “Farmall Cub”