Intake valve condition and a tool question, if you please...

Fri May 21, 2004 10:25 am

The intake valves on my '62 Cub are worn sort of concave on the seating area. What would you guys do? Grind 'em/lap 'em in place or replace 'em?

Valve-spring compressor - what do you guys use? Mine has straight arms and doesn't fit up into the upper reaches of the valve area. Anybody got a tool number or suggestion? Anything's better than what I did - using one arm of the compressor and prying on my 'official' pivot - a 1" bronze gate valve body...then fishing the keepers outta the creankcase. That' guaranteed to take the wind out of your sails.......

Sheepish Rob

Fri May 21, 2004 11:33 am

Rob, depending on how badly they are grooved, I think I'd try grinding them first. It won't hurt to try. As far as a spring compressor, use a smaller tool designed for lawn mower engines.

Fri May 21, 2004 12:25 pm

Rob, For the valve spring compressor, I use a modified small engine valve spring compressor. It looks line an elongated A. I've turned one set of the "fingers" on it over and use it with one end resting against the bottom of the casting, and the other side pushes the spring up against the top of the block rather than having one set of fingers on each end of the spring. Also a little dab of grease works good for holding the keepers on the shaft while letting the retainer and spring down over them.

Sat May 22, 2004 7:36 am

George W , Made one and if he reads this , maybe he'll post the picture again.