This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

In Madisonville with the Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

In Madisonville with the Cub

Postby Ronny Bailey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Got here just before dark.
Using a flashlight, I sprayed PB Blaster on every nut and bolt I could get to. They must have been thirsty, because after 15 min or so, a lot of them looked like they hadn't been sprayed at all. Did a lot of them twice. Used most of the can I brought.
Got most of the rat poop off - what a mess. Glad I was wearing a mask.
What I had thought was the crank mostly buried in the poop turned out to be one end of an S shaped lug wrench. Dang it!
Found an old crank in a #3 washtub and continued with the spraying. When that was done, I looked at the crank. It is the wrong one. The end looks like a socket with two slots cut out of it. Must be for the F-20. Looked all over in the dark for the crank but didn't see it. Very disappointing, because seeing if the engine is stuck is a top priority this trip, along with spraying all the nuts and bolts.
I'll look some more tomorrow, but I doubt I'll find it. One idea though is our 39 Plymouth. It has a crank slot in the bumper that is the same shape as the Cub's. It may be in the truck. I'll be thankful if it is, and if it fits.
Tried turning the fan blade. It turns, along with the generator, but the lower belt is not turning. I may cut it off tomorrow and try turning the motor by hand if I can't find a crank. Got my fingers crossed...
I thought the floorboard would be rusted out because of the rats, but it cleaned up good. There is one spot near the clutch where a piece is broken out. Has a hole about 5 inches in diameter.
Brought a lot of good wire (correct gauges) and connectors. I'll be making most of a new wiring harness tomorrow.
Got the front planter can off and tucked away, so there's some access to the right side of the motor now. I'll try to get more of it off tomorrow, but will probably end up letting the PB Blaster do it's thing until the next trip. Don't want to risk breaking or damaging anything.
Lots of pretty red paint under all the dust and dirt. :D
Placed my first order for parts with TM. Filter and gasket for the sediment bowl I got cleaned, a carb rebuild kit and a gasket set.
So, having fun with more planned tomorrow. Wish I didn't have to drive over 100 miles to get to it.
Can yall think of anything I should check? If I find a usable crank, I'll check the motor. If it turns, I can check the valves to see if any are stuck. Other than that, I can't think of much, so suggestions are welcome.
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: In Madisonville with the Cub

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Sounds like you are right on track with a good idea of how to procede. Before you cut the belt off, pull on it (pressure) as you turn the fan blade, you may get lucky. Just remember not to force anything if presented with the opportunity. Keep it up and let us know how things progress. Good luck!

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Screwstick wrote:Sounds like you are right on track with a good idea of how to procede. Before you cut the belt off, pull on it (pressure) as you turn the fan blade, you may get lucky. Just remember not to force anything if presented with the opportunity. Keep it up and let us know how things progress. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll pull on the belt and see what happens. I've got all day tomorrow to play with it, so I'm not in a hurry. I'll be glad to get all the implements off so I can get to it easier, but if I have to let it soak in Blaster for another week or two, that's no problem. Doing it right is better than doing it fast.
It's really neat to be here and play with it. Most of the time all I can do is look at pictures and think about what needs to be done.
I'm going to investigate moving it to my place in Lufkin. It would be a really big job for me, but I'd really be able to make some progress...
Ronny

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Ronny, Is there any chance of getting this on a trailer so you can get it home where you can work on it easier? Then you can tinker with it for a little bit each day. I sure wouldn't go buying a lot of parts for it until you were sure of what you had.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Ronny,

Get a friend with a pickup and trailer (shouldn't be a problem in Aggieland) and make a day of it. I remember enjoyable days with a good friend hauling Cubs. Go pick it up and get it home so you can work on it without spending a lot of driving time. You'll be glad you did.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Barnyard wrote:Ronny, Is there any chance of getting this on a trailer so you can get it home where you can work on it easier? Then you can tinker with it for a little bit each day. I sure wouldn't go buying a lot of parts for it until you were sure of what you had.

I actually have a car trailer, but it's one that doesn't have the floor all the way across. I don't want to use it because I think the Cub's front wheels are too narrow.
I wish I knew someone with a trailer that I could borrow for about a week. Maybe I could rent one. Hmm...
I appreciate your thoughts on spending money for this.
As far as I know, it was working fine when it was parked. Dad's health got bad about this time and I think he knew he couldn't use it anymore.
So other than damage caused by just sitting there, I hope to not have to buy any major parts.
My dad was always very good about taking care of equipment and I'm confident that this is a solid tractor.
Also, I don't remember him saying anything to me about there being a problem with it. He would have done that.
One of the challenges for me is to see how little I can spend while getting this thing up and running.
It is owned by my sisters and me together, and they are more willing to spend money on it than I am, since they know it will be used a lot here at the ranch.
My goal is to not spend any money except for maintenance-type things (gaskets, filters, oil and such).
My family did not have much money to spend on things weren't needed, and I'm kind of using that mindset as a guide on this project.
Besides, how much fun is it just buying stuff and putting it on the tractor? I wouldn't learn anything that way.
Ronny

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Ronny, you can rent a U-Haul trailer for about $30.00 for a day. Have everything ready to take with you, including a come-along and an air tank and hope the tires hold air. Then leave early in the day with a friend like Bill suggested. You should be able to get this done in a days time.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Barnyard wrote:Ronny, you can rent a U-Haul trailer for about $30.00 for a day. Have everything ready to take with you, including a come-along and an air tank and hope the tires hold air. Then leave early in the day with a friend like Bill suggested. You should be able to get this done in a days time.

I'm going to check into that. The only problem is, I don't have a space for it at home.
Might be able to create one if I can move enough stuff around.
Gotta put my thinkin' cap on!
What size trailer do I need for this?
Ronny

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 pm

6 x 12 trailer from U-Haul will work....

It will be worth it to bring the cub home and work on it there... It is so much fun to be able to go out and tinker for an hour or so in an evening...

I wish I were closer... I would LOVE to stop out and help!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm

A 6x10 trailer will do just fine. Make sure it has brakes. Make sure that anything that is loose on the tractor is taken off and secured somewhere so it doesn't fall off.

Circle of Safety

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:24 am

Hey Ronnie.
Earlier this summer I bought a 10x20 canopy at tractor supply for about $100. They also have a side kit for another $100. There in TX, Y'all don't get much snow, so if you have a spot to set it up, you could have a temporary garage for a couple hundred bucks. (They are real handy for garage sales and other events too. (like cubfests))

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:38 am

Ronny, Don't forget to mark your calendar for the Great Texas Tumble held in Oakwood Tx about the first weekend of April. Thats only
60 miles from Madisonville. Check with Ralphs cub site sponser for a crank
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

renscub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby renscub » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Ronny Bailey wrote:...I'm going to investigate moving it to my place in Lufkin...

If you manage to get it on a trailer I'd recommend a "pit stop" at a self-service car wash on the way home. Spend a few bucks and blast the crud off that thing whiles it's on the trailer. Do it about 50 miles from home and she'll be nice and dry when you get home.

Ren

ps: I love this thread - very interesting saga! Best of luck.
Pejepscot, Maine

www.rensjeep.com

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Moving the Cub (slightly OT)

Postby Ronny Bailey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:04 am

Back home in Lufkin now. Drove through heavy rain with a truckload full of lawn mower carcasses.

I probably would have moved the tractor here already but there is a problem and it isn't space - it has to do with my truck.
It's a 92 Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins diesel and long bed, so moving the Cub would be a snap. The problem is, it doesn't have a limited slip rear end and it gets stuck in the mud so easy it's pathetic.
I keep it parked in a covered area at the end of the driveway where the previous owner kept his boat. Just 8 feet and I'm back on concrete, but when I first got it I got stuck in the mud three times. I had to go to a quarry near here at got a full load of something called blue rock. That fixed that, but unless it hasn't rained in about a month, any time I am on grass I risk getting stuck. I drove it once to where the tractor is and was careful to avoid the soft area. Sure enough, I got stuck and had to call someone to come pull me out.
I can't imagine a company making a 5000 pound 3/4 ton truck and not having a limited slip as standard equipment.
Need to find someone with a junker in their back yard with a limited slip and buy the axle from them. I've found that there aren't many folks who want to sell just the rear axle. Something about never being able to move their truck in the future-go figure! I would shop the junkyards but I admit I've been too lazy and busy with other stuff.
Changing it would be a bigger job than I'm willing to tackle and it really hasn't been a problem since I rarely need to go where it might get stuck.
But when I do, it kind of gets to me... :evil:

Well, I'll get off my soapbox about that now because other than that, it's just about perfect for me. A workhorse that never quits - over 300,000 miles on it.
Been running on biodiesel: better mileage, runs quieter and the exhaust smells like melted butter!

Getting back on topic, I have a plan. If I can get a U-Haul trailer to the ranch when my brother-in-law is there, we could use his truck to get the tractor on the trailer and move it over to the driveway of the main house. Once it's there, I'm good to go. I haven't mentioned any of this to him, but he'll probably be OK with it. He wants to get it running too, but doesn't have the time or mechanical skills to help.

Oh Ren--the car wash idea is excellent. I'll definitely do that if this moving thing happens.
Mike, I checked Ralph's cub site. Twelve bucks and I've got my own crank! Gonna order one tomorrow. One of the best things I've learned here about getting the Cub running again is how you can start and use it without a battery. I don't have to be thinking about whether the starter works or replacing the battery and chewed up cables until after the important things are taken care of. It warms my cheapskate, penny-pinching heart. :||):
And dshawz, if I really try, I can make room for it here in the barn. I appreciate the canopy idea, though.

I better stop typing now or I might mess up the server with this long post... :)
Ronny

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Whoops...

Postby Ronny Bailey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:24 am

Just clicked on the link to what i thought was the crank on Ralph's Cubs site. That's not a crank - it's a starter rod.
I'll have to give him a call and see if he's got one.
Ronny

Return to “Farmall Cub”