This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CUB-QWEST 2004

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

CUB-QWEST 2004

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun May 09, 2004 11:23 pm

I have decided to permanently retire the Monk (my 1949 Cub). I want to keep it like it is.

After some consideration I have bought another one. It’s a real nice ’59 with fast hitch and a complete Woods 42" mower. It has all the correct linkage (no chains). I WILL use this Cub. Problem is …its in KY and I’m here in AZ.

I’ll be leaving Tuesday morning on a 3800 mi. round trip CubQwest…draggin the Cub Hauler.

I know this is short notice but if there is anyone on the Farmall Cub Forum, near me here in SE Arizona, that needs something hauled east let me know. I will be traveling through S. New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri ( US 10, 20, 30, 40 and 55 mostly). I am going back empty as of right now.

The tractor also comes with a sickle bar mower, and a mold board plow that snaps into the fast hitch. Is it much work to break down the sickle bar mower so it will fit into the back of my Ford standard bed? What tools should I take along?

I’m looking forward to the trip. I will be taking my Powerbook to provide updates and emergency calls for assistance to the Farmall Cub Forum.

Mike
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 10, 2004 8:00 pm

Well, Ky is close to me! I could keep an eye on it for you until you can pick it up. Of course, there'd be no hurry to do so! It's the least I can do for a fellow cubber! :wink:
You can separate the cutter bar from the mower frame at the hinge fairly easily.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 10, 2004 9:11 pm

I always find the cutter bar to hinge pins stuck and impossible to remove.

You can remove the pitmat then (usually) knock the pin out that holds the coupling bar to the flywheel shaft tube.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon May 10, 2004 9:58 pm

Thanks Bigdog and Jim. Guess I'll take along a hammer, some steel pins and some penetrating oil in the toolbox.

Had a new receiver made for this trip...6.5" drop...Cub hauler is sitting nicely now with all four tires tracking flat on the road. Thought this might be a good idea.

Should I direct my posts for emergency road assistance to you Jim since you're there in TX anyway. What's the most convenient time for me to call if I break down :roll: :lol:

Bigdog..could I get some work done on this one at your place if I stored it there for a couple of days? Do you have plenty of food and drink
8) 8)

I'll check in tomorrow..hopefully from Sweetwater, TX.

Mike
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon May 10, 2004 10:55 pm

mltiema wrote:Should I direct my posts for emergency road assistance to you Jim since you're there in TX anyway. What's the most convenient time for me to call if I break down :roll: :lol:

Don't worry about waiting for a convenient time to call. If you break down, just send me an email any time. I'll read it at a convenient time.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue May 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Made it to Sweetwater, TX ...720 miles from home. :shock:

Everything is going very good. The cub hauler is towing like it isn't even there. I lowered the tire pressure down to 30 psi on the trailer so there is no bouncing around.

My experience from my youth...backing telephone pole trailers into tight spots.. is coming in handy, but I'm not as good as I used to be. I guess that goes for alot of things though :roll:

Well Jim since I won't be in TX anymore after tomorrow morning I guess I'll call Bigdog if I breakdown

:D

Hopefully by tomorrow night I will be in strikin' distance of the 59. Sure hope its as nice as it looks in the pictures he sent, and everything works.

:)

I'll check back tomorrow again.

Take care.

Mike

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed May 12, 2004 10:45 pm

Memphis TN... 1430 miles from home and closing in on cub #2. The sign across the street from the Holiday Inn says.."ELVIS..HE DARED TO ROCK."

A great day of traveling. It’s nice to be back in the heartland. Living in AZ for the past fifteen years I have gained a new appreciation for this area of the good old USA where I grew up. As I got into the GREEN trees and GREEN fields of NE TX and SE AK my sinus passages cleared up and healed again. The clouds were hanging low and heavy near the ground, visibility down to about two miles, but only a very light mist of rain was falling. This kind of weather could be depressing to some but the GREEN was just overpowering to me…beautiful.

As I drove along past the small 20,30 and 40 A. pieces of ground cut into the thick tree growth that at one time had been farm fields, I wondered how many cubs had been used back then around here on those small plots. Not much of anything has been planted or even turned over yet…I guess due to all of the rain. Rivers, ponds and low-lying areas are filled to capacity.

The highway dept. was out doing their first cutting of the grass along the way. The fresh air was thick with oxygen, great smells and humidity… it was very nice for a desert guy to enjoy. Saw a couple of beautiful old grey barns and recalled john’s story about the barn wood.

I saw three or four Farmall M’s and H’s that were dark brown, wet and rusting away in the fields along the roadway.

Had the distinct dishonor of passing the boyhood home of the dishonorable Pres. Bill Cliton…and oh yes… before I forget...be sure to mark your calendars….only 190 more days until the Cliton Library in Little Rock opens. I know many will want to be there…NOT.

Sorry for all the rambling on about green stuff. It is green where I live too, but not like this. With a little TLC and my new workin’ cub maybe I will be able to make it greener in my part of AZ.

Hope to see and load up the ’59 tomorrow morning over in KY.

Cub Hauler-Gitter is trackin' good..only problem so far has been a blown fuse that knocked out my traiker lights for about ten minutes.

I'll check back again tomorrow.

Take care.

Mike
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 13, 2004 12:07 pm

Mike,

Sounds like you're on a great Cubventure. We enjoy the reports keep them coming. And drive safe :!: :!:

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu May 13, 2004 3:06 pm

watch out for blizzards and closed mountain passes :!: :!: :lol:

and i thought i'd traveled a fair piece for Primer Pete.. 1200 miles round trip. not compared to your little trip. 8) very 8)

sure hope Big dog didn't get there first :!:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 13, 2004 3:31 pm

artc wrote:sure hope Big dog didn't get there first :!:

Hey now! I'm tryin' to be good!
Bigdog

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 13, 2004 7:06 pm

It's tough isn't it, Bigdog :?: :?:

Those mountain passes and the blizzard was a piece of cake. I would do it tomorrow but I'm now in Mississippi. Ain't no mountain passes here :!: :!: Just a lot of mud :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu May 13, 2004 11:23 pm

FASTEST CUB IN THE USA.

I had my new cub up to 75 mph this afternoon. These things are very fast when you're haulin' um.

Made a fairly quick trip up the"Music Highway" today (Memphis to Nashville). It was another beautiful drive. Then just past Bowling Green into real Cub country...Kentucky. Got the '59 loaded up and headed back for Memphis about 12:30, but I had to stop along the way at Natchez Trace State Park. I had always heard it was nice and it is very nice. Got into a major converstaion about Cubs, GW and Senator Edward Kennedy with some folks there. We talked until they talked me into unloading the Cub and cutting some grass...so I did that for 20 minutes or so...Everything is OK except when the PTO is engaged and those two blades spin out they bang around alot until the rpms get up. Is that normal?

I re-loaded the Cub about 4:30...It was starting to rain. He said he was glad to finally be getting out of Kentucky.

I'm headed back west tomorrow.

Sorry that I firgot to bring my USB cable so no pictures.

"ELVIS...HE DARED TO ROCK"

Mike
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu May 13, 2004 11:43 pm

mltiema wrote:FASTEST CUB IN THE USA.
Got into a major converstaion about Cubs, GW and Senator Edward Kennedy with some folks there.

Everything is OK except when the PTO is engaged and those two blades spin out they bang around alot until the rpms get up. Is that normal?

I'm headed back west tomorrow.

Mike

Mike, Are you sure that all that spinning & banging around noises were not G.W & E.K. rattling there swords or fumblin round trying to get their dueling pistols in hand to out-do each other?. :twisted:

Keep us posted. __ My money is on G.W.
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 14, 2004 7:26 am

Those swing-away blades will do that until the centrifugal force is sufficient to throw them out.
Bigdog

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri May 14, 2004 11:17 pm

Back in Sweetwater, TX.

It was another easy drive today…two or three brief showers, but the highway is 95% in perfect shape.

I did hit the early three o’clock part of the Friday night five o’clock Dallas commuter traffic. I would say that over half the folks in Dallas are taking off early on Friday. (Not bad, but during my working years I never worked even one Friday…there were just too many other important things to do.) Anyway, being in all of this traffic made me feel lucky to be retired. The cub gitter enabler, and the cub gitter enabler puller did well in the traffic. The trailer has good electric brakes and overall has done excellent. Even on the rougher roads, pulling off to get gas, everything bounces nice. I had some large pieces of foam rubber and two old sofa cushions to lay the sickle bar and plow on. They haven’t moved an inch since I left KY. My only problem on the entire trip so far has been a blown 20 amp trailer lights fuse. I shorted the whole system out when I was trying to reconnect a light that had come loose…I touched the connector to the frame. At this point I was going to email Jim and Bigdog for emergency road service, but I had it fixed before I could. I always carry extra fuses. The truck has forty or more different fused circuits on two different fuse panels.

:roll:

The more I look at this cub, the more I like it. Everything is used very little. The person I bought it from has taken very good care of everything. There is one small problem area…The spindle that connects the tie rod to the axle on the left front wheel has a small weld at the top on the axle side. I want to put up a picture of that and get your idea on how to restore it correctly The sickle bar mower still has most of the original blue paint, and the plow has no ware at all.

I have just come back inside. There was a gentleman that was doing some serious lookin at the cub so I went out and we talked about the cubs for about 20 min.

Should be rollin in the driveway tomorrow evening about 5 or 6 pm.

SUNDAY…. I’LL BE MOWIN
:D

Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”