This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CUB-QWEST 2004

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat May 15, 2004 6:24 am

Sounds like it's been a fun trip Mike! If that KY cub gets tired of the AZ desert let me know! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon May 17, 2004 12:02 am

I made it back home with my new toy last night about 5:30 pm. The trip was 3,540 miles, but an easy drive and a great trip. It was good to get away and I am very happy with the new workin cub.

I cut 1.5 A. of grass today...off and on. I had to take some frequent brakes to look at this thing some more. This day was one of the most fun days I gave had in years. What a pleasure it is to mow with this machine. The Woods mower needs a paint job. Does anyone know if Woods has those "WOODS 42" and warning decals/stickers available. The mower operates very nicely, drops down level with the ground, and makes a nice cutting. The hydraulics are a little jerkey in raising and lowering..not smooth, but this is quite a bit of weight too.

I have also started a list of other things I'll be doing to make this the way I want it. I am looking forward to it.

Here are a few pictures.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Wed May 26, 2004 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon May 17, 2004 6:10 am

Mike:

Nice Cub, nice mower and very nice trailer :)

As for the decals, I am not sure if they are available or not. CB had decals made when he restored his Woods. Yours appear to be basically all there and would make good samples.

I would suggest that you talk to your local print shop/sign shop that deals in mylar and computer cut signs.

Have him take measured pics of EACH decal and it's location. Have him make them.

THEN - have him keep the print files, get him to put a price on them and let me know who he is, the price of each, the price of the complete kit and how to order them. Having a source for decals would be invaluable for restoration projects. Having a photo record of the decals on your woods, posted to the server would be lots of help for those who are redoing or wanting to restore their decks.

Would you consider documenting your restoration?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 17, 2004 8:11 am

I rodered a set of blades and some paint from Ken Updike at Carter & Gruenwald http://www.cngco.com, and when I was talking to him he asked if I wanted the decals also, so I guess they are still available.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Mon May 17, 2004 12:49 pm

Depending on personal taste... I have seen woods 42 mowers on CUBs that were painted the same red as the CUB but then had the regular Woods decals placed on them. It actually looked quite nice.
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon May 17, 2004 5:06 pm

Thank you John *.?-!.* cub owner...Carter & Gruenewald seems to be the source for Woods parts.

They had the owners manual for my deck (42CF-6), the V belt, blades, paint and the original decal set with warning stickers. They have a good stock of the parts for all Woods decks and the Cubs.

Mike

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Mon May 17, 2004 10:06 pm

Hey Mike,

As I was reading all of your post(s) about all the "Green" I kept thinking,
"boy he is getting close to north central Mississippi and I just know he
is going to stop off and get himself some Kudzu to take back to Az". This
stuff grows about a foot a day and will soon cover the world, well it may
stop at Texas and Arizona. It can be used for hay, alcohol, and cattle feed,
but mostly it is used to hold these old erodded clay hills together.

It is interesting to see just how far and wide some people will go for aCUB.
Like the old Camel cigarette commercial, "I'd walk a mile for a Camel".

I am glad you have made it back.

Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38506
Tractors Owned: Cub demo

Wish I had read earlier

Postby Dave Hull » Mon May 17, 2004 11:12 pm

I had a 154 lo-boy in OKlahoma City that needed a ride to Nashville TN area. I could have helped with the gas. Sure is a nice looking cub...the pic must have been somewhere back East. I never noticed so much green in AZ.

Looks like a great find.

dave H in Cookeville

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed May 19, 2004 4:56 pm

You never can tell when another good cub will turn up in north central Mississippi, and I may have to go and get it before Bigdog. I am one of the fastest striking cub gitters, and could probably beat him there even from AZ. I will have to try some kudzu here in AZ. Must need a lot of water.

Dave, sorry I missed you, would have been happy to help out, but this was a fast scheduled trip.

If anyone else needs a cub haul let me know and maybe we can work out a deal. All cub hauls are done only during daylight hours with all parties full aware of what is taking place. Your cub will not turn up missing.

Anyway spent Sunday and yesterday degreasing the cub, hitch, Woods chain drive, and sickle bar mower...Washed everything with Zip car wash/wax...then oiled all the links on tractor and chain drive and greased the chain with white lithium.

I have had two large economy size cans of WD40 spray on the shelf for over five years and today I sprayed both cans on EVERYTHING. Now its sitting in the AZ sunshine soaking it up.

I went to adjust the seat to the back position today and the back bolt is really rusted on there good. Hope the WD40 soak will loosen it up overnight.

So far I have noticed that the front end has been "worked on". There is a weld between the left front steering knuckle arm and the top of the pivot shaft. When I talked to John at JP Tractor he said I had the wrong steering knuckle arms (what I called spindles before). The ’59 is supposed to have the one bolt clamp on style instead of the two bolt style that’s on my ’49. He is sending me the correct arms for both sides and the left pivot shaft, and said this was a major improvement over the old two bolt style. He also had the correct clamp for the tailpipe/manifold connection, and a fast hitch unlatcher release spring I needed.

Is 400 lb. about the max lifting capacity of the fast hitch with the helper spring? Is that spring something that came with all fast hitches, just the later models, or an option?

I would like to find a good five foot disc harrow with ten 20 inch discs (360 lb.) for the fast hitch. If anyone has a line please let me know. I would like to work a deal involving trading my IH sickle bar mower (v. good condition), and/or the IH mold board plow (excellent condition).

One other thing to ask about… The connecting link between the rockshaft and the fasthitch is curved and looks like it might be bent, but can’t say for sure. This connecting link has the pancake ends on it and is not like the one on my’49. The ‘49 has three distinct sharp bends and runs straight line between the bends. Also the ‘59 link rubs against the helper spring when raising and lowering. Is this normal?

I have a slightly bent leveling crank adjusting rod on the fasthitch. Seems to have a little bend on the threaded part just below the hand crank which makes for a little wobble on the adjustment. Any recommendations on where I could get this straightened or get a replacement? JP Tractor does not have it.

The serial number on the '59 is 213068 J. What does the J mean?

Thanks

Mike

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:23 pm

Here is "Landmand"..My wife named him..Danish for "Farmer".

Most of the KY grease is off.

Catfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Catfish » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:17 pm

Mltiema, Nice looking cub! How hard is it to steer with those cub cadet rear tires on it? I like the way they look. I may try some on my Lo-Boy.
CatfishImage

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:59 pm

Yes they are Cub Cadet tires.

The tractor steers easily with the mowing deck in rasied position.

I will change them out soon to standard wheel with 4.00 X 12 trailer tires and rear turf tires. The problem here is that this tractor is primarily for mowing. With the mowing deck down the tires rub the front of the deck in sharp turns. The Cadet tires would be fine without the deck mounted.

Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”