This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

removing rust

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
greg49
10+ Years
10+ Years

removing rust

Postby greg49 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:59 pm

hi all,
I am starting another project now that my 49 Cub "Cindy Lou" is finished (are they ever finished?) I'm restoring a Deering hay rake somewhere in the 1900-1920's range.I realize that most folks just let 'em sit around to rust away, but i don't want to go that route.That means getting all the rust off to prepare it for a paint job that will last a long time.I don't have a sandblaster, and to have it done is expensive.What do you folks reccommend? I can wire wheel a lot of the smaller parts.do you think that the wire wheeling is effective in getting the rust off and getting a good surface that paint will ahhere to? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Greg
"Greg 49"
1915-1917 McCormick Tedder ,1920's Deering Hay Rake, 1949 Cub,Oliver horse drawn plow 83n,syracuse plow,hussey plow, various planet jr. cultivators

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: removing rust

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Have you considered electrolysis? Do a search on that term and look in the "How To" forum. You'll come up with lots of suggestions.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:29 pm

you could also try a rust converter like rust mort. after you have clean the rust as best you can you apply it anlet dry then prime and paint.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I have a cool sandblsting set up but I really like the 60 gallon e tank I have with a "garage type" battery charger that really cooks the parts. I did see some product in Farm Show (the publication) that would convert rust on large equipment. I'll see if I can find the copy. Results looked great. Maybe it was rust mort? How's your Dad doing by the way?

Chris

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Greg,

A wire wheel (cup brush) works great for removing rust on smaller parts, provided you can get to all the surfaces. For hard to reach areas a needle scaler does a nice job also. I used a wire wheel on the following parts, and as you can see it does a pretty good job. Just takes a little longer than sandblasting.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 pm

A wire cup brush on a good 4" grinder will do wonders. I did my whole Cub with one. The small parts like bolts and the like I did on a bench grinder with a wire wheel. Wear a dust mask when you do it though, that old paint contains lead and you don't want yourself or family to breath that stuff.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I recently have been using OSPHO. It's a rust converter/inhibitor. I have found that the paint job last much longer using this whether I use electrolysis or wire wheel. It's very simple to use too. Just spread a thin coat on using a brush and making sure you work it into all cracks and pits, let it dry on for 24 hours and paint over it. No primer necessary.
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:13 pm

Greg:

A couple of options are avaialble to you.

greg49 wrote:hi all,
I am starting another project now that my 49 Cub "Cindy Lou" is finished (are they ever finished?) I'm restoring a Deering hay rake somewhere in the 1900-1920's range.I realize that most folks just let 'em sit around to rust away, but i don't want to go that route.That means getting all the rust off to prepare it for a paint job that will last a long time.I don't have a sandblaster, and to have it done is expensive.What do you folks reccommend? I can wire wheel a lot of the smaller parts.do you think that the wire wheeling is effective in getting the rust off and getting a good surface that paint will ahhere to? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Greg
"Greg 49"

Electrtolysis is a really good method to get the rust off and when using TSP it has been my experience and of many others, that flash rust is minimized. Some have also experienced this phenomenon when using TSP Free and even Washing Soda. However, TSP is usually the best at preventing flash rust for long periods until all the parts are ready for priming/painting.

You can make a pair of electrolysis tanks of varying sizes rather inexpensively and with stuff usually available in a normal garage/workshop scenario. Check these links for some interesting info on making and using an electrolysis tank

For a rather large tank to do say the wheels of a hay rake.. I would suggest acquiring a used plastic oil tank around say 400 US Gallons. These can usually be had for simply taking them away. Check with your local heating oil suppliers. They could have an old one that is no longer useable for it's intended purpose but would be great for a large e-tank.

Acquiring a sandblaster is not all that difficult or expensive. You can easily make your own Sandblaster for next to nothing. Oh, you will need MS PowerPoint or the PowerPoint Viewer for IE to view the project file. The Mozilla plugin FireFox Extension is also available for those who use Firefox. This works for 2.5 and previous. 3.0.1 may need an update but FireFox will advise you if that is the case.

Hope this helps a bit.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Greg...here is a big tank close by to make an insanely large E tank...
http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/862767727.html

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Greg:

As Chris said, this is an awesome electrolysis tank candidate for a few reasons:

These tanks are routinely used by Landscaping, Construction and Paving companies to bring water onsite for a myriad of uses. The aluminum/light steel enclosures provide a level of rigidity yet provide sufficient access for larger items. Wonderful item. You can actually leave only a marginal amount of the lip sor structural strength. Boy, it will accept a lot of larger items but you probably would be wise to utilize a shop crane etc., to load up the tank.

That is exactly my idea with my tank. To accept very large objects such as steel wheels and manure spreader sides. Very useful. :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:57 pm

Rudi,
I would buy this myself but am trying to grab that York Rake tonight. I can have someone from work who lives in Foster get it. I could put my entire transplanter in there! I'd have to hook up battery chargers in series to really do some cooking.
Greg, I think you have my number so call me if you want someone to bring it down your way from Foster, Rhode Island.
Could even put it on a roll off for delivery, you are right up the street from work...

Chris

2cubs2cases
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2cubs2cases » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm

If you use a wire wheel and just remove the lose rust you could use Por 15 or Zero Rust. This works well and keeps the rust locked in.
1956 Farmall Cub,1952 Cub Hi Crop, 1959 Case 420b, 1960 Case 530ck Backhoe

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:46 am

I will have to ask again what my friend in NH uses... paint it on over rust and it seems to work well, perfect for what you want to do. (Unless you want a big project)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:11 am

Greg:

I forgot to ask:

greg49 wrote:I'm restoring a Deering hay rake somewhere in the 1900-1920's range.I realize that most folks just let 'em sit around to rust away, but i don't want to go that route.Greg
"Greg 49"

I have my wife's great granddad's hay rake, it is a McCormick-Deering Type "M" Self-Dump Hay Rake. Is that similar to yours? If so I actually have the Owner's Manual for it. The manual is a 1950 revision, but it still has the Thills, Solid Tongue, Eveners and Neckyoke plus the front truck tree and the tractor hitch tree in the manual. If it helps, let me know.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:05 am

Greg, for something as large as your rake, I would recommend that you clean it up using a strong cleaner such as Krud Kutter. I'de get a gallon for your rake...about $14.00 at Lowes. Also pick up a few 'coarse', 3M "Sandblaster" sanding sponges.

Wet down a section of your rake by spraying with full strength cleaner. Keep it wet for a couple of minutes by continually spraying it. Then take the sanding sponge and a bucket of water and start scrubbing. Work in areas the size you can keep wet and rinse out the sanding sponge frequently. When you have scrubbed off all the rust, rinse it off with clean water and wipe it off with a clean rag. Scrub, rinse and wipe until the rag wipes off the surface without that familiar brown color :big angry:

When you have it as clean as you like, let it dry and brush on a coat of one of those "metal conditioner/primers, that the others have mentioned. I use something called Metal Prep. Let it dry and you will have a good paintable surface without primer (the prep turns to primer after it dries). You can prime and sand more with regular primer if you want a smoother surface for your color coat.

Good luck, and lets see some pictures of the finished rake :wink:

"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”