This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Number 3

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Number 3

Postby Harold R » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:21 pm

I just purchased Cub #3 today. I wasn't really looking to buy another unless it was a basket case to be had cheap, but this deal just fell into my lap, so to speak. '50 model, with woods mower. Tractor purrs like a kitten, no smoke at all, good oil pressure. Hydraulic is quiet and smooth.
Transmission is NICE and QUIET. Mower cuts great, with no problems.
Is missing left fender and battery box and head lights. Paid 1K for what you see. How'd I do?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:19 pm

:P From what I see it looks like you did real good. I noticed it has no muffler like mine, Mine runs quiet without it. :roll:
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:28 pm

Looks like a good deal to me! What is that hanging in front of the steering shaft support? Cup holder? Ash tray???? :D :D :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:09 pm

Looks good, Harold. You will soon have a stable full of them. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:10 pm

Where did you locate this one? Dan

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:31 pm

Paid 1K for what you see. How'd I do?

Harold,

You done good. We've paid a lot more for a lot less. It looks like another Cub family is forming!

Now tell us about the bluebird box. Is it successful? I have 16 just like it, but mine only attract english sparrows. I've had only one successful bluebird nest in 12 years.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:49 pm

What a great buy. :shock: The mower would bring half that easy :!:

You done good :!:

"Now tell us about the bluebird box. Is it successful? I have 16 just like it, but mine only attract english sparrows. I've had only one successful bluebird nest in 12 years".

Hey George...I put up three boxes here. I have a nesting pair in one. The female is sitting on five eggs. A week ago, I had another pair checking out one of the other boxes. Now if I could get the purple martins to stay and set up home in my martin house. :evil:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:19 pm

Johnbron and HR, be careful running the cubs (or any other vertical exhaust tractor) with a short pipe. Several years ago I rented a house from the widow of a man that was to tight (not poor, just tight) to replace the exhaust pipe on his Allis when it rotted off just above the hood. He filled it with gas and some splashed out onto the fuel tank from the leaky cap while he was driving. Sparks from the muffler lit it, and rather than abandoning the tractor he stayed on it trying to drive it into the river to save it. He died from the burns.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:50 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Johnbron and HR, be careful running the cubs (or any other vertical exhaust tractor) with a short pipe. Several years ago I rented a house from the widow of a man that was to tight (not poor, just tight) to replace the exhaust pipe on his Allis when it rotted off just above the hood. He filled it with gas and some splashed out onto the fuel tank from the leaky cap while he was driving. Sparks from the muffler lit it, and rather than abandoning the tractor he stayed on it trying to drive it into the river to save it. He died from the burns.

John,

That's a good point, but some Allis tractors had exhausts that were no more than an inch above the hood. My Allis C has the original muffler under the hood and had the outlet crimped so that it was a slot about 5/8" wide just above the hood. I modified it so I could add a vertical stack, but for a different reason.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sat May 01, 2004 12:22 am

I'll get it home tomorrow, and have a few more pics. That is a cup holder mounted on the steering support. Looks marine in origin...probably will leave it for a while. I do like the way it sounds w/o the muffler...not sure what I'll do there. This tractor was less than 5 miles from my house. We knew the folks....but didn't know they had it. Wife told me about it. It was one of those deals where everybody felt good afterwards.
George, this was at the sellers home, but I do have a couple of Blue bird houses on my property. I've had 1 nesting pair for the last 2 years, but they're doing well in the neighborhood. No luck with the Martins though.
Thanks all for the good comments.
HR

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun May 02, 2004 8:46 am

I finally got it home after the rain quit. I stopped by the car wash and pressure washed it good, removing years of gunk. I drove the tractor around for over an hour, at all speeds, and found no other problems. No leaks of any kind. Along with missing the left fender.....it's missing left brake. It's all there, but I believe the band is broke. Carb is in need of attention. Floods and drips gas. The hood and doglegs are going to need straightening. It seems folks get tired of the hassle of taking the hood off, so they make it a "quick-release". I don't percieve these as "biggies" though. Pics later.
HR

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 02, 2004 8:54 am

Harold:

Ya done good :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Catfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Catfish » Sun May 02, 2004 9:05 am

HR, is that a bug killer I see on the hood for all that high speed mowing :?: :cool:
CatfishImage

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sun May 02, 2004 6:40 pm

Nice find Harold, sometimes their just around the corner. Do you have the martin's houses way up high?
Michael

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun May 02, 2004 10:50 pm

Here's a few pics of number 3 with the hood off. In one pic you'll see a bracket of some sort. No, the block isn't cracked...I did know to check for that. The tractor has a curious under coat of orange. Possibly Hwy. Dept. orange? Everything was painted orange. The red you'll see looks to have been brushed on. Radiator looks new. The final drives look as if a mower was the only thing ever hooked to it. I'm thinking new rubber and a couple hundred bucks for odd and end things....ought to be a good tractor. :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”