This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Master Control Paint Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Master Control Paint Question

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:37 pm

I will be painting a couple of cubs in the near future (John's and Dad's). I have gotten specific instructions from John on what gets painted what but, Dad wants his painted as close to original as possible. He wants the master control lever (hand lift)and the front rockshaft painted blue and the rear rockshaft unit, rod included, painted red. Any comments :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:25 pm

I think that some of the early ones of all the parts you mentioned were blue but a little later were all red. Mixtures of red and blue could have been on the same tractor as delivered from a dealer.

However, it is unclear what you are refering to with "master control lever" and "rear rockshaft unit." On hand lift tractors, the master lift unit included the hand lever, quadrant, boost spring and the rear rockshaft as a single unit. The whole unit was either blue or red.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim. I have a copy of the owner's manual/parts list for the 144 cultivator. The items I speak of are on pages 37 and 40. From what you stated, it looks like it should all be blue.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:41 pm

Bud, I was checking some of my booklets, and I have one showing cub and attachments (all handlift). Most of the pictures are illustratons rather than actual photographs, but it shows the entire handlift assembly including rod and front rockshaft being red, as well as the universal mounting frame for the cultivator. All the rest of the attachments are shown in blue. The pamphlet is on Rudi's site under ADs Brochures, etc. It is the Balanced Farm Power And Quick-Change (ha ha) Implement Units" manual.
The hand lift is on page 16.

correct are not, I still want mine BLUE :P
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:30 pm

You can see this in the paint committee decisions. Sometimes it is a little hard to figure out what parts they are talking about in the decisions. Here is decision 168, April 11, 1947. It says to paint all this stuff blue.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc/paint/display.asp?pageurl=168_01.gif

The decision was amended on March 31, 1948. This changed all these parts to red. The amendment includes 3 pages of machine by machine details.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc/paint/display.asp?pageurl=168_02.gif

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:39 am

I checked the casting dates on Dad's tractor and all cast parts were made in between 7-1-R and 10-29-R, well after the March 31 ammendment. So, I must conclude from this that the "master labor assembly" is RED.

Greg Norman

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:17 am

CB:

All the Paint Committee Decisions that relates to Cubs in any way (that are available that is) are on the server under Paint, Decals and Other Finish ?'s/Paint Committee Decisions.
There are 10 of them.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:43 am

:? Somewhere I read that early on if the implements came with the tractor from the factory everything was painted red including the master lift. If you purchased the lift and implements from a dealer as an add on they were blue. I know when I tore apart my early 48 there were remnants of blue on the plow, cultivators, sickle bar mower, master lift control lever and on the plow lever. I know the tractor was never repanited and the implements and controls were purchased from the dealer shortly after we bought the tractor.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:01 pm

The implements didn't even come from the same factory. Any bought with the tractor would have been put on by the dealer.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:37 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:I checked the casting dates on Dad's tractor and all cast parts were made in between 7-1-R and 10-29-R, well after the March 31 ammendment. So, I must conclude from this that the "master labor assembly" is RED.

Remember that amendment didn't mean that everything automatically changed back to red on April 1!! It took a while to get the word from IH corporate down to the factories. There were probably a tremendous number of blue parts still at various points in the IH system. I bet you could have still been getting all blue implements from your IH dealer well into 1949.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:08 pm

Well, I read the paint decisions to Dad just before we painted the tractor yesterday and he said, "PAINT IT RED" :!:

I don't think he is to wild about blue paint on a red tractor. :roll:

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Sure makes the unusual items such as handlifts more noticeable.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:26 pm

John, I agree. I have ordered four cans of blue from Bermuda Ken at C&G. I am using some on your handlift and the rest I will use later on the turning plow I hope to get from Russ. I don't think I will have enough left to paint my cultivators.

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall Cub”