This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Opinions Please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Opinions Please

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:09 pm

Well, have decided that I am going to have to break down and buy some taps and dies. I have got a whole bunch of threads to chase and best to bite the bullet I guess.

Question is what is the best choice. I could go and buy individuals I guess, but that will probably be very expensive. So, I was thinking about a tap and die set.

My favourite store doesn't have what I think I need, so am going to have to go shopping.

Can you all let me know what should be in the set. What can I expect to pay for the set. I do not need a pro set either I wouldn't think.
I need the tap for the front rims - haven't a clue what thread or pitch it is - not shown in the parts manual that I can see.

I see that I will need 5/16 x 18, 3/8 x 16, that is just for the deck. What about the threads to mount the battery box to the axle? The lights? Draw bar bolts? The bolt holes on the mounting pads, the head bolts and all those others etc.....

Remember, I haven't got a clue about this stuff, still learning, so your advice will be invaluable.

Monday I need to go and get the taps for the mounting pads and the draw bar mounting holes on the finals so I can get Jethro split....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:24 pm

Do you have a Sears store? Craftsman is pretty good for the money. You can get better but it will cost more. Just like you can have more fun but it will cost more.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:24 pm

I got a set from Harbor Freight. Total crap. They couldn't even clean threads much less cut them. Usually the harbor freight stuff works but these sure didn't. I finally broke down and bought a set from Sears. They work great. I don't remember what they cost but it was plenty. I don't know at this moment what size they go up to--maybe 1/2 inch. I know they have a large size upgrade set but I haven't bought them yet. I borrow the larger sizes from my neighbor.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:47 pm

Rudi,

I'll make it three. :lol: :lol: Sears will be your best bet for the money. But some of the taps you will need may not be in a resonably priced set. Looking in the Craftsman catalog the sets range in price from $89.99 for a 39 piece set to $279.99 for a 107 piece set. I would think you can get individual taps and dies you will need for Jethro for less money.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:58 pm

Rudi,

You'll probably get the best deal by buying an inexpensive set (maybe Sears) and later replacing just the ones you use the most. Most sets won't have the most important one... the 5/8x11. I'd buy that separately and buy a bottoming one too. This will allow you to clean the implement mounting threads all the way to the bottom, and maybe save a casting. If you really want to get carried away, get a 1" pipe tap just to clean the manifold threads.

The tap you'll wear out first will be the 3/8x16.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:05 pm

Yea what Mr. GW said :!:

Mr. GW said:
The tap you'll wear out first will be the 3/8x16.

I would think the 5/16-18 would run a very close second.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:16 pm

I bought a cheap set from Horrible-Freight. I have only used a couple taps for chasing threads with no problems. For the price of 10 or 12-bucks it was worth the gamble. From others comments about the H.F. tap set I might be afraid to use them anymore for fear of them exploding. :mrgreen:
Then came Bronson

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:21 am

A good tap set will cost you plenty. I think I would go along with the recomondations of buying from Sears. They will be middle of the road, probably a higher grade of chinese. But they should be ok as you will be using them for cleanup rather than actually tapping holes. I have to use the good ones as I never know if I will need to tap cast iron, stainless or aluminum. Avoid Horrible Fright on this one. Americian made taps are a good thing to look for at swap meets.
Michael

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:55 am

Rudi I bought a set from Princes Auto the last time they had them on sale.They were only a small set. You just have to ue lots of cutting oil and take it slow when using them and try not to bottom out.I found the break pretty easy especially the small ones then you really have a problem.I bought two small ones seperate last week cost me $8.00 at the bolt storebut I needed them :roll:

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:23 am

It sounds like I got a good deal on mine. I bought a batch of loose ones off of e-bay for $9.00 and it had 35 taps and 3 die nuts. It was about 50-50 NC and NF and ranged from #6 to 3/4". There were four 3/8" NC taps and that is what I use most. It also had a 1" pipe tap in the lot. With that batch and the set I already have, I hope I never have to buy any more.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:27 pm

Rudi. G.W. said it best .... Buy an inexpensive set and replace the most used when they wear out with a good one. An industrial supply should have your better grade taps and dies. (I'm glad Farmall Cubs are nothing but American Standard and not "Metric"!) :wink: .....
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:43 pm

What about Vermont American. A set of 11 is $64.00 and a set of 8 is $48.00. Both have about 50-50 NC and NF all SAE. Only problem is no 5/8"-11 never mind bottoming taps. But they do have the taps for the 10-24 and the other smaller ones that I will need. I will probably buy the more expensive set if VA is reasonable.

Is VA made in USA and is it of reasonable quality? Seems I will end up as George said, buying the 5/8-11 separately :roll: .

Thanks guys
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:50 pm

I bought a new 5/8 - 11 tap from Sears about a month ago. As I recall, it was about $6 - $7.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

tomjan357
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tomjan357 » Sat May 21, 2005 12:22 pm

Rudi, A cheap set of taps is like a Murray mower...a waste of money.
Everyone in this forum insist that you should use OEM part when it is
possible and not to waste time and money on cheap imports. When you
break one of those cheap taps off in a hole you'll really wish that you had
bought better tools. You can often find good taps for cheap at a pawn shop. You will most likely find that you will only use 5 or 6 taps very often. Why buy a hole set if you don't need the full range of sizes. I was lucky to get two sets of Matco, 1 SAE, 1 Metric for $50 at a local pawn shop. Prior to that I bought quality individual taps as needed. As they wore I would grind them into bottoming taps. Hope this helps, Tom
If it ain't broke I didn't touch it

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sat May 21, 2005 2:24 pm

Dont buy a cheap one save if you have to .As far as sears go there hard to find these days with the merger or buyout or what ever there doing. In my opionion there not worth the price they want.Do a search I cant remember but it seems like JT supply or JT MACHINE But they sell machinist tools and have very good prices on very good stuff I bought a 9/16-24 tap and die for making a trip puller it was HSS parts that is the best and only cost me about 20.00 us I thought that was very reasonable for a special; order deal.
JON

Return to “Farmall Cub”