This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rocky Rockshaft and a Sloppy Gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Reynolds
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rocky Rockshaft and a Sloppy Gear

Postby Peter Reynolds » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:55 pm

Hey all,

Getting close the final stages of getting the old cub running.. Just a few things that concern me.. ONE - the rockshaft on the front of the engine from the governor has quite a bit of play in it where it fits in the governor. The woodruff key fits pretty tite on the shaft, so where it fits in on the actual governor must be worn.. I looked in the archives for some suggestions, but I couldn't find any.. SECOND - the rotor drive gear in my mag has a rather loose fit on that small drive shaft. The flat area on the shaft seems okay, so I am guessing that the inside of small drive gear is worn.. Anyone put some kind of shim behind it or had to replace the gear? Perhaps I can just ajust the timing to make up for that small slack until I can get it properly fixed. I bet it has a pretty high price on it, if Case IH even has the little bugger... Thanks again for all your wisdom.. I might have this thing running this spring, if I ever get a break from all this darn college work.... :x

Peter Reynolds
"Long Lost Cub Rookie"
1949 Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:19 am

Peter, the governor shaft problem can be dured a couple of ways. One is to cut a shim to fit around the shaft where it goes into the governor shaft. Another is to use the medium (blue) loctite on the shaft, but make sure it is clean. Some people use JB Weld, but the loctite is easier to remove later if you need to. Then there are some that have a lot of wear like my old 48, that has the shims and loctite both.

Regarding the mag gear, they have quite a bit of slop normally, since the rotor passing the posts on the cap isn't a real critical position. If you determine you need a gear, I think I have an old mag in my shed I can send you one from.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”