carb ?

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:22 pm

i have a carb for a cub that i would like to get a rebuild kit for. but i need to find out witch kit i will need. is there # on the carb? i could not find any. i know that it is not the origanol one that was on the cub.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:27 pm

Harry, Is it an IH carb or a Zenith?

Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:52 pm

it is an IH but the place that i was looking at said that there was some # that you needed to get the correct rebuild kit>

Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:28 pm

The carb number is on the flat area above the main jet. It is small and can be hard to read and may be impossible to read if the carb has paint on it. Clean it carefully and use a magnifier if necessary to find it.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:58 pm

There is only one carburetor rebuild kit for the IH carburetor. Of course, the Zenith carb will require a different kit. The carb # is only necessary if you need a main jet, discharge nozzle or bowl vent. These three items are calibrated as a set and the carb part number will identify what size your specific carburetor should have.


Here's where the part number is stamped. This is an example of an easy to read part number. Most are much worse or completely missing. The two part numbers for the IH carb are 251 234 R94 and 364 579 R91. Except for those 3 items mentioned, both IH carbs are identical.

Get the carburetor kit from CaseIH. The rebuild kits from TSC/Valu-Bilt/Tisco are poor quality, include only the bare necessities and tend to have pieces missing. They also have the WRONG INSTRUCTION SHEET. For the extra cost of the IH kit, you get everything you need for a complete rebuild and the instructions for rebuilding a Cub carburetor. If you also need a float or idle tube, IH still carries them.

Good luck with your rebuild - check out 'Best of HL Chauvin' for tips on fixing some common problems.