Replacing Radiator Hose

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:13 pm

I received a call today requesting info on how to replace the short hose through which water returns from the radiator to the engine block. I don't think that this can be done without removal of the radiator. Two questions: Is there an easier way to accomplish this? If not, is there any type of wrap which can be used to serve as a temporary fix. The Cub belongs to an elderly person. Last fall, he asked a neighbor (notice that I did not use the word "good") to drain the radiator since he could not remember whether it contained antifreeze. The neighbor's procedure for draining was to stick a screwdriver through the lower radiator hose. Thanks for any information which you may provide. Dan

Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:25 pm


You can take the casting off of the side of the block to get to the hose. You may need to make another gasket as those old gaskets are rather brittle.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:17 pm


Going Donny's route is the easiest and probably the cheapest way to go. THe other option is to take off the mag. :roll: Don't ask why I know this ok :?: :oops: :roll: :oops:

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:06 pm

Thanks, Donny and Rudi. I had not realized that the inlet could be removed from the engine. You have made my day (I don't have to remove the radiator to fix it) and I am sure that the owner will be also be happy to hear this. Dan