This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Jethro's Restoration

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Jethro's Restoration

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:32 pm

Well, I didn't exactly plan to start the restore at this point in time, but as usual "the best laid plans of mice and men :roll: ", have fallen to the wayside.

The girl's - my wife Emilie, her Mom, Aunt, my daughers and Alton's lovely bride Bertha had craft morning this morning and Alton graciously drove Bertha in for the day. Needless to say, Alton and I needed to have a few things to keep us busy. :lol:

After we chawed awhile about CubFest and it's needs, we went to inspect Jethro now that the snow is mostly gone and we can see him. Curiosity overcame us, the C-60 is stuck and we wanted to know why. So - off comes the hood (which is now only useful for a pattern to fix Ellie's hood - his in two pieces and has an alternator flap cut into it :roll: :? ). Then we pulled the plugs -- hmmmmm not so encouraging :( Couldn't leave it there, so off comes the head :!: :oops: :oops: hmmmm don't look so good in there either, lot of crud on the top of the pistons. Pulled the valve cover - better but not a lot. Just discovered what an uncovered exhaust will do to a mill in the rain :shock:

Looks like the head just needs to be cleaned, not warped, not cracked. Block isn't cracked either as it was full of antifreeze. Water jackets look better, a little build up in there as well, but nothing serious. Rad was the next to come off - that one is just going to get flushed painted and stored until Jethro is ready for his water bottle again. It is in beautiful shape. Seems to be a rather new one. :D

Front bolster is in excellent shape, no cracks and no welds. Good news there. Same thing with the front end. Every thing is in good shape and will probably get taken apart, cleaned, painted and put back together. Good news as well.

One little thing that did not make me happy however. Some idjut :roll: :shock: :roll: tried to pull the pulley and broke the ears as well as the rim on the pulley so both of them is junk. I guess that means a new timing cover for the ears. Thank God that Alton has CUB PARTS :!: :D

So, all in all it was a very nice day for the first day of this restore project. Will probably end up replacing the valves and lifters and I am pretty sure that a punch job is in order - probably use 40 over pistons. They are already set aside!

The next job is to split the tractor. We took the governor off as well, it is seized so thats a rebuild - good thing, it is the object in the workshop at CubFest Northeast. The tranny is also the guineau pig for CubFest so I will separate the tranny from the finals and the torque tube sometime this week I hope.

Now that I am getting into it, I have a feeling it is going to only get better. I had a blast. Strange territory for a cabinetmaker though :wink: :lol: It was sunny and warm today - you could actually see the snow melt :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:57 pm

Sounds like you had a whale of a day, Rudi. Isn't it great, with time, after reading all these posts by the experts, you get the confidence to attack a project that is as deep as that. I may want to do that to one of mine some time in the future. Looking at all the pictures of freshly painted cub parts get the juices flowing. So, don't forget the before and after pictures of Jethro............
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:53 pm

We got a couple of pics of the poor miserable thing on the server. Unfortunately all my spare financial wealth or lack thereof is going for parts, so the digital camera is still a pipe dream. Will have to remember to take the camera out the next time I go play!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:54 pm

Rudi,

That a boy :!: :!: Glad to hear that YOU and ole Jethro are finally getting your due :!: :!: The next step will be to work on Granny and Uncle Jed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:29 pm

Donny:

Yup, gotta find em first :wink:

Although, I think I might have a lead on a 60ish square nose lo-boy. Maybe Granny is not too far off :lol:

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Jethro's Restoration

Postby parts man » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:05 pm

Rudi wrote:Now that I am getting into it, I have a feeling it is going to only get better. I had a blast. Strange territory for a cabinetmaker though :wink: :lol: It was sunny and warm today - you could actually see the snow melt :lol:

THe Alton that Rudi speaks of is my father. One reason he took the day off to play tractor with Rudi, si that my F-I-L has spent the week with me building kitchen cabinets for my VERY patient wife. We moved in 4 years ago in the fall with "temporary" cabinets in place, so I figured it was time to build the permanent ones. Starnge teritory for a tractor salvager!! :lol:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:53 am

Rudi,

Isn't it fun getting into the grease up to your elbows!
Must be nice also to have someone to work alongside too.

I was inspired by a friend who said, "It's a project, it does not have to be ready Monday morning !"

For a guy like me, that was good advice.

Take your time, bag and label all the nuts and bolts, and don't be scared to "go in".
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:59 am

Oh, I forgot to mention,
I had to swap out my timing cover as well. The ears were broke off the original, and bubble-gummed back together.
I just put the replacement on last nite. New gaskets for the cover, governor, new oil seal, and the pulley has a fresh speedy sleeve on it. Could not have done it without the help of everyone on the board. I used Donny M's method for putting the pulley back on, but instead of a REESE method, I used one of the 1/4" fender mounts as a "pusher" worked great. I'm almost ready to start painting the engine on the stand. It's going CN orange.
Just Do It !

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:44 am

EZ:

Excellent! I have been following your posts with much interest and I really look forward to seeing the CN Cub restored. Are you going to get the period CN decals and such? There must be some info in the CN archives I would imagine. A good picture would probably be useful. Oh another source believe it or not would be model railroaders. They have so much information on everything connected to railroading including support equipment such as the Cubs. I was talking to a family friend who is retired from CN and he remembers the Cubs - and so do many.

Jethro is going to take some time. The big part right now is to get him disassembled, so I can take the mill down to Alton. Bertha and Emilie want to get together again for their Swedish Weaving project, :roll: sooo :wink: that means I have to drive her to Sussex - :roll: :wink: like break my arm eh :?: After that, it will be to get the tranny split so as to have it in Sussex in time for the CubFest. Will have to open it up I guess, take a quick peak and see what we need to do and order up the gaskets and seals etc.

Not only do I need a new timing cover, gonna have to get a new pulley too, and a generator, and a magneto (complete), a deck pan, seat assembly, fenders, front rims and a hood. This is a major project for me!

I may, just may be at the point to start putting him back together sometime after Christmas - might have him ready for the spring show in Sussex next May!

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:16 am

Rudi; I was wondering just how long Jethro could be in clear view before the 'well, let's take a look at it' bug arrived. And i'm sure you recognize the ' well, we might as well ......, as long as we've got it apart' bug that seems to follow :!: :) 8)

All i was going to do to Primer Pete was repair the brakes and PTO lever assy. :lol: :lol: but since he placed a distant THIRD in the ugly but working contest, well....

Enjoy the project ! I know i did! already looking for something else to take apart :!:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:27 am

Art:

Save some room on that trailer :!: There will probably be a bunch of neat things to take apart at the CubFest. Seems we may have a bunch of "need to find a home for" stuff!

I have been looking at Jethro for a loooooooong time, and trying to screw up the courage to start. Now that there has been a beginning, I am finding that it is really enjoyable and nowhere near as scary as I once thought.

Thank God for good friends both here at home and on this Forum! Without y'all I would never have had the nerve to start.

I think this is going to be a fun project. Of course, you are correct - the "well, while I am in here, I might as well........." bug has already taken hold.

Return to “Farmall Cub”