This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub - no power- any ideas??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
alan
10+ Years
10+ Years

cub - no power- any ideas??

Postby alan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:53 pm

pardon my ignorance, but i'm new to the red ones. all my others are orange. anyhow i brought home a 49 cub with a 5 ft woods belly mower last week-end. what i've found is that it has no power -runs very smooth and quiet out of gear, but -- when i let out the clutch with the mower engaged rpms die and tractor wants to stall. (same thing happens when i try and use 3rd gear w/o mower) what i've found so far -- the tractor did smoke some when i got it, so i thought maybe rings were bad-- but compression test shows 100 lbs in all cylinders. oil was very black and thin, so i changed oil/filter, and with fresh oil so far smoking has almost stopped. now i'm thinking fuel or governor..... fuel flow to carb seems good; pulled carb off and cleaned, no change. any thoughts on where to look next??? thanks alan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:11 pm

With the engine running about half throttle, push against the governor linkage to see if it resists movement and tries to maintain rpm's. There are several threads and posts about governor linkage adjustment. It's quick and easy to do. It may be dirty and sticking though. If you remove it to clean it pay particular attention to keeping it in time.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:15 pm

Alan,

Follow Bigdog's advice and if you still have problems I would check the main jet in the carb. My 55 had the same problem when I got it. Turns out the main jet was partially blocked.

alan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alan » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:51 am

thanks for the input. won't have a chance to try anything until this week-end. alan

Return to “Farmall Cub”