This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

front axle rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

front axle rebuild

Postby Joey » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:40 pm

Well, it turned out to be one of those "might as well change it while I'm at it." I changed the bearings and oil seals on the front wheels and after putting the hubs back on, they don't turn as freely as before. Is this because of the new oil seal and the leather gasket? Also, how tight should I tighten the castellated nut? I know you learn alot by doing it yourself, but a lot of times I wonder if I'm doing it right. I hate to put it all back together and then have to take it back down! Thanks for any help.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:30 pm

Joey, It won't turn as easily as it did before. You have new, tight bearings, fresh grease and seals so there will be some drag. I always tighten the nut as tight as I can by hand and then back off to the first castellation. Use it for a couple of weeks and then re-tighten after the bearing has had a chance to seat.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:59 pm

Thanks, Bigdog. Hope it won't be long before 'Popeye' will be back on all hands and feet, sporting another hat (hood) and an eye transplant. Maybe we'll be able to cut grass better because we'll see better! :shock: