This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Power Unit in IH 52R combine: Will it ever start???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Power Unit in IH 52R combine: Will it ever start???

Postby Super A » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:10 pm

Follow up to "pulling cylinder head" question below:

I had some time to kill today so I went to my combine and checked it out:

1. All valves appear to be moving up and down. The valves themselves, not just the tappets.

2. I can feel compression at every cylinder by holding finger over sparkplug hole

3. I have a good spark

4. There is fuel at the carb

5. No go. Not even a sputter, nothing. Not even the HINT of starting! :cry:

I am going to get a compression tester and make sure compression is indeed good. I am a little suspect of the carb, but is definately getting gas, and absolutely POURS out the intake whenever you choke it, which seem to be typical for a #$$#)%%$ Cub. If compression is good and the carb is OK, what should I look at next??

This problem began over a year ago when I brought this combine home. I used the better part of a can of ether on it and the best I could get was a wisp of smoke out the exhaust pipe and an occasional flash from the carb intak--and a rather unimpressive flash at that. It finally frustrated me so bad that I have let it set for a year or so.....I am determined it won't beat me THIS TIME!!! :twisted:

HELP!
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:28 pm

Al,

Give it up. That engine will never run! If you act quickly, you can bring it here and I'll put it in Scruffy in time to take him to Cub Fest 2004 with more power.

Seriously, if your plugs are in good shape and everything else is as you say, the only thing left is timing. Are you really sure #1 fires at the end of its' compression stroke and the plug wires are in the right order?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:31 pm

My best luck when A engine has bean sitting for long periods of time , is to pull the pluges and fill the cylinders w/oil and crank it with the plugs out. Then put the plugs back in or new if you have them. This brings the compresion back up as you don't have much anyway after sitting long periods of time, and the oil if any on your cylinder walls is washed away with the first rush of gass.My advice is to stay away from ether. The resault is dammege to dry cylinder walls. I always use fogging oil. If this doesn't help , you better go back to checking timming and good spark. Good Luck. "Jack"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:32 pm

I was thinking timing also. If you check/correct any timing problems and it still won't go, try a little ether. If you get something with the ether, you may have a bad vacuum leak.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:37 pm

thanks for the help fellows, I am beginning to suspect timing. Will check more in detail later. This is one of those "play with it when you have a chance once in a while" projects so it may be a few days before I try again......

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:56 pm

Al, You and the others have pretty wel covered most things, but don't forget to check for obstructions in the exhaust.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”