This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sad Day

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Sad Day

Postby Brent » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:06 am

:( Sad day for me yesterday. I had to put the best ranch horse I ever owned down. He was only five and had the biggest heart I've seen right up to the end. Spent the rest of the day tinkering with my Cub. Real good therapy!
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:22 am

Brent, I am so sorry to hear that. There's a special bond with animals that you can't get with mankind.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:18 pm

Brent, ditto here. I know exactly how you is feeling. I still have yet to get over losing Spook. Our 4 footed friends are as much family as us humans and it hurts just as much when we have to say goodbye.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:34 pm

Brent,

I can certainly feel :cry: :cry: your pain having growh up on a farm and had many pets that were like family. Heck, I even cried a time or two when the cows left for the sale barn.

Horses are just special!! :) :)

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:55 am

Thanks gents, I've already started working with one of the others. Should have him ready for the fall brandings.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:44 am

:( Brent, Sorry to hear of your loss of a favorite horse.

I am curious to know why you had to put him down at such a young age.
Then came Bronson

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:31 am

Bronson,

It was a type of colic where the large colon can actually displace itself and rest on either the top of the kidney or liver, I can't remember which. In his case he only showed minor signs of colic. I called the Vet right away and he oiled him and did all that you do for a horse showing signs of colic. He showed signs of recovery then took a turn for the worst by late afternoon.

I took him to the large animal hospital and they did a intestinal tap. Turns out he already had dead intestinal tissue which can't be fixed or reversed so the only option was to put him down. Like I said in my first post, he was all heart that's why he was my favorite out of the bunch. The vet at the hospital said he couldn't understand why he wasn't showing signs of severe pain. Guess it was his big heart!
Last edited by Brent on Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:33 pm

Brent I have seen that happen to a few horses. I had one neighbor that got lucky enough to save her horse by catching the symptoms early enough. She knew not to let the horse lay down and she walked it all night long and it survived. I dont know that much about it but I have heard that the internal parts in a horse can get twisted up sometimes just from them rolling over on the ground. Doesn`t it seem like the best ones leave us early. :?:
Then came Bronson

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:01 pm

Bronson,

In his case we think the wost happened during the night so we weren't aware anything was wrong until the morning.

Return to “Farmall Cub”